Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disaster has struck, either Steepler has remotely destroyed :p or my Forerunner 201 has decided to pack up.

Does anyone know how to get the case apart, I want to have a look inside but its no obvious how to disassemble the caseing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
User manual was frigging useless as always, I think its the buttons (hence lead inside) don't work, it still connects to the PC and finds a GPS signal but other than that it won't actually start and the only button that works is the reset, can't even turn it on or off.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Very long shot I know... but my Nike HRM stopped working, regardless of whether I took the battery out, pressed all buttons to reset or what... turned out one of the buttons had got stuck in it's depressed state and had just frozen the whole thing.

If it were me i'd try applying a small amount leverage pressure at the casing join at various points around the unit to see if it gives any clues on how it's fixed together. If it has gone completely balls up though I'd probably end up just prizing it open anyway - nothing to lose! lol :d

·
Registered
506 Posts
Granty,
before you smash it to bits, have you tried resetting the software? There is some sort of download prog on the garmin site. I think the software locks up on them occasionally. It's worth a shot. Ring the Garmin helpline, they're very good.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried that Rob, reloaded the firmware but still no good, I will check for pushed in buttons Rich when I get home.

I have phoned Garmin and apparently they will fix it for 40 quid so not that bad, best not go too heavy handed with teh screwdriver tonight then !! :eek:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On the 205 are 2 small slits which look like you press them both in to lift the case off. Could be similar for the 201 maybe?

But to be honest, you're probably better off getting this seen to by someone who can claim to know what they are doing with these things and / or will pay for a new one if they break it :p

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i tried to get my 301 apart.... i think its snap fitted at one end with the other pivotting around a couple of lugs.
we x-rayed it at work to see but still never managed to get it apart.

so i bought a 305

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x-rayed it !! Classic it ed_m :d

and still could not get it apart, the plot thickens, no mention of it on google either - strange....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
well i think we know how it should come apart.. but hard to get a tool to fit and push the right places.. we did try ... and then gave up.

the parts may be plastic welded together or glued or some other sealant for waterproofing too.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
You'd have thought they'd design it to be serviceable?! how stupid eh!

Speaking about sealant & waterproofing, my Nike Triax HRM was waterproof, though according to the instructions pressing any of the buttons underwater would cause water damage!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i guess they are servicable.. if you have the right tools and kit to reseal it.

i bought a zoggs watch with a pressable face for doing laps, designed for swimmers, designed for pool use. first time out doing a 3.8km time trial in a 50m pool..... forgot to press the button after the first 50..... by the end of the next 50 it was blank.... by the end of the swim it had bubbles floating round in it!
whats worse i had to count 76 lengths in my head whilst trying to remember what time i started !

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
I have a Forerunner 201 and have only recently started to use it while running. Don't ask!

Has anyone else found it doesnt really work in built up areas? I tend to get a weak signal alarm on it and then it stopped clocking up my milage until it finds a signal again. :(

O.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find the 201 a right pain to run with. Just seems such a weight.

Do all you guys use it on your arm, or some other place with a different type of holder?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts