Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a watch / tracker to replace my samsung gear fit2 which has terrible battery drain and i fear won't last a half-marathon distance.

Apart from the battery drain i really like the watch/tracker, and use the following features daily - sleep tracker, steps, hm, running, notifications (email / calls / text / facebook, etc) so would like to see these in the new watch which would also have a much improved battery life, have some water resistancy to say 50m (salt water if poss), and have the ability to sync to strava.

My budget is around the £200 mark, I would have liked some music storage but wouldn't give-up the quality of the above preference for that, and so think that's above my budget.

So from my research todate i've come up with 2 options, the forerunner 235 and the vivoactive 3 - both garmins. I'm tending to favour the vivoactive as it seems to encompass more with still a decent battery suitable i think for say a marathon run (my ultimate goal). I like the round dials on these in preference to the fitbit ionic which again i would put appearance before the ability to store music as the watch will be for everyday wear.

Anyone have a preference over these 2 models, or perhaps can suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use a forerunner 235 and like it a lot. I've never used the vivoactives so can't really comment on those.

I've done some really long runs with the FR235 and it's been fine on the battery. You do have to turn bluetooth off though as that drains the battery pretty quickly if you leave it on while running. You won't want notifications etc while running anyway and can turn BT back on after running. I think the longest I've had it in use recording runs on one day was something like 5.5 - 6 hours, and there was still some battery left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Think about Ionic as well... Had both FR235 and VA3, now I'm on Ionic, has the music storage, battery same as VA3, but overall much more lightweight... Only downside is call notification delay, but I believe they'll handle that one soon... And, I believe it should fit the budget with some promotion...(Saw it today at Heathrow for 220)

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for those thoughts, going to pop in to town today and see if i can find any to try on, although a heavy set bloke, i have small wrists and don't want anything to chunky looking.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Popped in to currys, tried the fitbit ionic on and surprised how comfortable it was, never owned a fitbit before, photo's and video's online perceive it to be more chunky looking than it actually is. Pleasantly surprised, only thing i'm not sure about is the screen shape compared to the round va3, which currys also had, but wouldn't release the display model for me to try... their answer was for me to purchase it, open the box there and if i didn't like it they would refund me! Wasn't keen on that idea. Oh other niggly bit i have with the ionic is it has a music player, but i've never had success with earphones in my ear... tend to get an aggreviation... but don't use music now, so could do without it.

Will carry on researching, but at least i've ruled out the 235 and got it down between the va3 and the ionic. Thanks djurkash for recommending the ionic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No worries mate, look, you won't make mistake either you choose, it's just I had both, and liked Ionic better. Maybe it'll be different with you... And, why not trying one, and if it doesn't suits you, return it, toy have great return policies there, in my country it's only 2 weeks...
Good luck mate...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries mate, look, you won't make mistake either you choose, it's just I had both, and liked Ionic better. Maybe it'll be different with you... And, why not trying one, and if it doesn't suits you, return it, toy have great return policies there, in my country it's only 2 weeks...
Good luck mate...

Ordered the VA3 to try, will report back how i get on with it. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Iv had both VA and 235, much preferred the 235 for running.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, been a week since i got the VA3, and wow! so much better than my previous gear fit2 - primary reason for change was the battery life, where the gear fit2 would barely last a half marathon distance whilst the VA3 takes only about 20-25% juice over that distance. I also find it lighter and a more pleasing design overall being that i use this as my everyday watch.
Still got lots of options and settings to figure out, but have installed a custom timing screen that shows everything i need on the one screen, so that's sorted. I'm sure i'll learn more about it as i got on, but yeah well impressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts