Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
PinkCheeseMuffler said:
Take a look at these forgotten Olympic events!
http://www.runflux.com/blog/
200m hurdles anyone?
I love the idea of an obstacle race! How about egg & spoon or even a sack race? We all know just how competitive they were.

Also, as part of the closing ceremony they could have 'parent races' which would involve world leaders throwing eggs at each other. Now that would be a good spectator sport! :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
what does throwing eggs at each other have to do with parents races? lol.

Can't wait to have kids... i'm gonna be sooooooo competitive in the parents races :d

beware... so are all the other parents!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think we should definitely have an obstacle race in the Olympics, be it swimming or on land.

It's the only time I've ever not come last in a race - 2nd place in the (land) obstacle race in my last year in primary school - made just enough difference for my house to win the overall competition, too, so I was very proud :) Not quite sure to this day how it happened, mind you.

On a similar theme, crazy golf would be very entertaining to watch...

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
what does throwing eggs at each other have to do with parents races? lol.

Can't wait to have kids... i'm gonna be sooooooo competitive in the parents races :d
I thought all schools had the parent/egg competition. Obviously not!
Parents are paired up facing their spouse or a friend about 3' away from each other and then have to throw a raw egg to each other. They then take a step back and throw the egg back and repeat the sequence each time having taken a step back, thus making the task that much more difficult each time the egg is thrown. The winners were the pair who gained the furthest distance apart with out getting egg on their face (literally!)

It was hilarious to watch as a child and the highlight of the sports day. But no doubt fun games like that are now banned for health & safety reasons :mad:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Never heard of the egg throwing thing. Mind you, I don't think we even had parents' races at our school sports days. Thankfully - it was bad enough me and my brother losing every race we were in, without my parents doing the same :p

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
LMAO!!! when I first started reading that I got confused as I thought the intention was to hit the other person with the egg! lol.

I've played that game before though, great stuff! not one we ever had at sports day though! I'd get VERY annoyed - my missus is pants at catching! :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts