Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have never posted on a forum before and I have no idea if I am doing this right!! I am a 43 year old full time police officer with 3 kids and I have just taken up running. I needed to do something for myself and my sanity!! I am not very good at it and it takes a lot of will power to get out of the door but boy do I feel proud of myself when I get back.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi jan,

I think that you will find this forum very user friendly and versatile......say what you like, within reason, someone will reply. the advice is always useful from training to injuries.

I am 43 and started running in April, I couldn't run up the road without feeling in a state of collapse. I completed my second 10k yesterday, and also feel proud of myself for actually achieving something for me. I wished I had started years ago, but nevermind i am actually enjoying it now, something i never thought possible

Good luck, keep focused and you will get there. Make time for yourself!!!

keep us posted on your progress, however small it is always an achievement!

Lyn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jan Penny said:
I needed to do something for myself and my sanity!! I am not very good at it and it takes a lot of will power to get out of the door but boy do I feel proud of myself when I get back.:embarrassed:
You summed up why I do it to! I'm just trying to cope with the bad weather right now as that's not helping my morning enthusiasm...

Dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome Jan

Well done for taking the first step. Running is a great way to keep in shape and stay healthy.
Don't over do it. Enjoy your running and ask as many questions as possible.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jan,

What I immediately liked about this forum was the mix of experienced and new runners, and the absolute lack of snobbery. The experienced guys are so happy to pass on tips, and the newbies range so much in natural ability, but all offer mutual encouragement.

welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
calton1954 said:
Jan,

What I immediately liked about this forum was the mix of experienced and new runners, and the absolute lack of snobbery. The experienced guys are so happy to pass on tips, and the newbies range so much in natural ability, but all offer mutual encouragement.

welcome aboard. :)
Yep, I think you summed up this site well Don. I never felt intimidated even though my original goals were quite low in comparism to the seasoned runners. Set your own goals in your own time and go for them, with a little help from this website of course! the sense of achievement is worth it!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Yep, I think you summed up this site well Don. I never felt intimidated even though my original goals were quite low in comparism to the seasoned runners. Set your own goals in your own time and go for them, with a little help from this website of course! the sense of achievement is worth it!

Hi Jan.

You are safe from any intimidation on this forum because as you will see everything is aimed at me. ;)

(Keep a close watch on Bagpuss,Steve & Granty)

This will give you an idea of what I have to put up with. http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/ladies/862-wear-pink-day-today.html

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Jan

I am 42 (43 next week eek!!!) and like Bagpuss I started training in April but only started running in August so she is quite a bit ahead of me. But I found this site to be very friendly and everyone offers loads of advice and support. My mum died of breast cancer and I found myself in this big hole not knowing how to get out but then I found running and it has helped me work through my grief. Everyone has their own reasons for taking up running, but when you do you find it is so enjoyable you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago.

Good luck and keep it up.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Hi Jan.

You are safe from any intimidation on this forum because as you will see everything is aimed at me. ;)

(Keep a close watch on Bagpuss,Steve & Granty)

This will give you an idea of what I have to put up with. http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/ladies/862-wear-pink-day-today.html
He asks for it Jan!;) Mind you that Bagpuss character does too!

It's good to see you are out there ...don't do too much to start with..you need to allow your body to get used to running.
As I say to everyone try to find someone to run with and ideally a running club.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Jan,

welcome to the forum, I imagine a hightly tuned Police Officer at 43 is at their peak !! :rolleyes:

Like others have said, the forum is a cracking place to get helpful advice on training / injurys from very experienced runners.

Should you just wish to post a random message then any thread on Dave is a good place to start. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts