Runners Forum banner

Fumes

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mrstimpson 
#1 ·
How much do you think traffic fumes affect your ability to run?

J

#3 ·
Squint said:
Not too sure on that one but the benefits of running will out weigh the downsides of the fumes, if possible run in the mornings when there is less traffic if not keep to less congested routes or go to parks/woodland!

Squint
Spot on Squint, but it is particularly noticable when running when you get a lung full of 'D reg' cavalier

#6 ·
I've noticed when running towards the Forth Road bridge that there is a point on the road where the fumes seem to gather if their isnt a good wind blowing it clear. My chest gets tight and I struggle to keep my pace through this area, once I get on to the bridge and in to the fresher air it makes a difference.
I tend to run along the coast to keep away from Car fumes.

O.

#8 ·
Never spotted any oil tbh......I go kite surfing further down the forth and the water is horrible there.....sometimes I wonder if its worth it :)

I noticed during the Dunfermline half there were quite a lot of car fumes as well, due to the fact that most of the roads were open in one direction so you had Q's of traffic just sitting with their engines running.

O.

#11 ·
I hold my breath even if I am just walking past them....I have found myself actually running round them just to get in front of them. I would vote for banning smoking in public, if you want to kill yourself, fine, but do it in your own home, not outside a pub / walking down the street / sitting the in park......

O.

#12 ·
Bloody awful habit, and no matter how many times you tell them they stink after a *** they tell you you're havering!! How bad does it look when you see an attractive woman start puffing out lung fulls of smoke, no bigger turn off for me! Not that I'm looking Mrs Squint!!!!

#13 ·
Squint said:
Bloody awful habit, and no matter how many times you tell them they stink after a *** they tell you you're havering!! How bad does it look when you see an attractive woman start puffing out lung fulls of smoke, no bigger turn off for me! Not that I'm looking Mrs Squint!!!!
As an ex smoker, having a pop at them doesn't help. We all know it's bad for us. Giving up has to come from the heart and is only something that can be executed by the individual.

#15 · (Edited)
Singularity said:
Slightly off topic but its still fumes. I hate running behind a smoker who has just blown out a mouth full of smoke. I've found myself holding my breath and running past him/her in the past.

lol this was exactly what I was about to write - but then I say to my self (while holding breath) I should of run to the park :) I also remember an article about fumes for cyclists saying that the health benefits out weigh the negative sooo much, and it went on to say that while driving we inhale more fumes etc anyways -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.