Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a run on Monday to do my normal 6 miler which includes a few hills along the way and gave up after 4 miles. My head just wasn't in it. I walked the last 2 miles with a few half hearted trots to try and make me feel better. I got home really disappointed with myself.
I went out on Thursday to do the same run and sailed through it . In fact I ran it at 7.59 min miles ( it's important that it was just under 8:d ). I could have ran forever.

Do you ever get days when you just can't run.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yup! Had one the other day. The worst is, they often mean I'm about to come down with a cold or similar yucky virus

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Happens to us all I think One Eyed.

Never really seems to be an reason when it happens to me.

Like you,I`m usually ok the next day.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have experienced the same as well and then like you say, go out the day after and its as tho' nothing has happened. - strange.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup I get those days..it tend to mean Ive ever had a bad few nights sleep or Im a little bit poorly! And as fustrated as you feel afterwards you do always feel extra good when it starts going well again - like youve really achieved something!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Haven't really had that, other than when maybe not over a cold or something. Sometimes the performance isn't there and so the time slower than normal. Started running home from work 2-3 times a week (about 6 miles) no option but to finish that :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
one eyed runner said:
Do you ever get days when you just can't run.
Running has always been like that for me. There are far more bad/mediocre days than days which really stand out as being good. Anyone who can say that their "two sides" are reversed is very lucky indeed. I look upon the bad ones as "money-in-the-bank-runs"; because when things go well, all the bad ones are made to seem worth all of the suffering. :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Every so often I have a bad run, but I figure even a bad run is better than sitting on your arse eating chocolate and watching lame tv. At least it is still good exercise and keeps you fit. I usually know after 2 miles if it is going to be a good or bad run. If I know it will be bad, I just stop the clock and focus on getting some good gentle exercise, without pushing myself too hard.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah... I've had a couple of days like that, usually when I'm really tired, haven't slept well, or been ill, or had a blow out party weekend heh... but I never stop... If I've gone for a run I keep on "running" even if it is just a plod heh... in the end I feel slightly satisfied that I atleast pushed myself a bit, rather than just giving up.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The joys of being young and having "blow out parties". Can't remember the last time I experienced one of those :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah I don't have those anymore... partly because I now live in a lab heh, or because I choose not to. Just isn't worth getting wasted. Oh god... I'm OLD! :p:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts