Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any peeps here have any experience of the "FIRST" training programmes ?
Furman Institute of Running & Scientific Training

3 sessions a week + x-training should suit my triathlon approach.

i want to get faster over marathon distance (3:35pb) next year and have been looking for something that will help acheive this. previous marathons have been based off ultra distance training which wasn't really very specific, just miles, this program seems to be extremely specific in terms of key sessions & pace.. so look good.

anyone used this or any comments ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ed m,

I've just completed my first marathon (Berlin) having completed the 'intermediate' FIRST marathon training plan. my PMP was 7m35s and ended up running at average pace of 8m01 .. had a bit of a cold and felt awful 22+. official time 3h31m.
The 3 key runs were ideal for my commuting lifestyle.

Key run 1 on the treadmill (grad 0.5) , since didn't have access to a track for speed intervals

I did key run 2 mostly on way home with backpack.. hence this was the hardest for me. and I generally had to allow myself an extra 10secs per mile. Howver , I also think I felt alot of benefits from key run 2.

key run 3, the long'un, became quite tough when the margin above PMP reduced right down. Still managed to complete them ok, but having now experienced the pain of 22+ I'm now wondering whether I should have been running more slowly.. it was my first marathon and perhaps I'm not that efficient at fat fuel burning. sounds like wouldn't be an issue for you though since run marathons before.

all in all, I would definitely use it again, althoguh I might change a couple of the long runs to be 21 or 22 miles at a wider margin to PMP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used the "first marathon" program...

Hi,

The fewer-workouts-per-week approach is definitely good if you're a busy person like me. I feel it got me ready pretty well, but if you're not already in pretty good condition for your first marathon, then keep a close watch on your legs/knees towards the end when it comes to the tempo training. Don't go too hard on the intervals, or you could wreck your long run.

I wound up overtrained for my marathon, but hey, it was a first marathon. Live and learn.

So overall, I can recommend it, but remember to listen to your body.

:A)>

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Certainly not experience them first hand - though I have read about them. It seems decent logic, and I've read nothing but good reports about people who have followed the FIRST programs.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers.

got the book now... the 3sessions plus x-training suits my triathlon goals very well.
will see how i get on with it for draycote & stratford next year.

and yeh i looked at the first week (due to start in a week or two) and thought cripes! 15miles on the first weekend, better get my running head back on.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
cheers.

got the book now... the 3sessions plus x-training suits my triathlon goals very well.
will see how i get on with it for draycote & stratford next year.

and yeh i looked at the first week (due to start in a week or two) and thought cripes! 15miles on the first weekend, better get my running head back on.
draycote and stratford?? are you a local then??

have u ever done the warwick triathalon? any ideas where they do the swimming bit?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am
i have
yes i do
yes it is

clear ?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
am i allowed to continue my ego massaging by mentioning i was 10th in my cat at warwick ;-)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha! i'm neither of the above..... bit of a fluke really.. i'd be dangerous if i'd trained for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts