Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mike3legs. I bought my garmin about 2 months ago (infact I have to pay for it tomorrow on the credit card bill :-/ ) it's the best bit of kit I've ever invested in. Don't get upset though when you discover you don't actually run any faster with it on!

It's really aided my training and my racing, I used the virtual training partner for my first half at Reading and it encouraged me to finish strong, the heart rate monitor has allowed me to understand my training "blips" a lot more and I can now pace myself more efficiently on long runs, tempos and fartleks - for me, the best thing is that I now enjoy interval sessions (I kid you not!) as I know exactly how far, how fast and how much longer I need to put in the effort (no more cheating ;-) )

I often run trails in woodland and have only lost the signal once, if you run frequently in built up areas or woodlands you might be better off going for the 305 as apparently the gps is more effective, but if you are just a regular runner then I highly recommend it.

Su2

·
Registered
59 Posts
mike3legs said:
Well I managed to pick one up today off ebay total cost to me of £105:50 so I'm quite happy with that. I just can't wait till it gets here.:d
Hi Mike,
Just wondering what the outcome of your Garmin purchase was, as I'm trying to convince the wife I need one in my like!

Stu

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hollywood said:
stupot - you have to buy one... you just have to... My other half gave me so much grief 3 year's ago when I bought my Timex SDM, but since last Xmas when she bought her Garmin 301 she's been inseparable from it!
Thought that might be the case!!
I'll give you the wifes number to convince her:d
I'll have to sell a few things on ebay! Starting with my old HRM.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My gf and I had a discussion at the weekend, initiated by her.......

Her: how much are Garmin 205/305's?
Me: Not sure, I'll look into it, why do you want one?
Her: No, but I'd like your 201, a 205/305 would be a waste for me as I wouldn't get the use out of it, but I could have your 201 and we could get you a 205 or a 305.
Me: I like your thinking!

I just need to re-assess my disposable income before a Europe bound mega expensive stag do I'm going on before I get it!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the 301 it has been a fantastic purchase for me. Definately helps me to keep going. And I found one at the right price. I have heard it said that the 305 is good if you run under trees or near high buildings otherwise the 301 is pretty much just as good in fact for some with small wrists the 301 can be more comfortable.

Check out E-bay for some excellent prices.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hammerite said:
My gf and I had a discussion at the weekend, initiated by her.......

Her: how much are Garmin 205/305's?
Me: Not sure, I'll look into it, why do you want one?
Her: No, but I'd like your 201, a 205/305 would be a waste for me as I wouldn't get the use out of it, but I could have your 201 and we could get you a 205 or a 305.
Me: I like your thinking!
Wow, want to send 'yer mrs round to our place, maybe she can have a word with the wife??? :d

·
Registered
59 Posts
mike3legs said:
I like the 301 it has been a fantastic purchase for me. Definately helps me to keep going. And I found one at the right price. I have heard it said that the 305 is good if you run under trees or near high buildings otherwise the 301 is pretty much just as good in fact for some with small wrists the 301 can be more comfortable.

Check out E-bay for some excellent prices.
Thanks for the advise Mike!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wore Shiraz's 301 for the first time yesterday - used it to pace myself round 26.2 and I have to say it was superb - especially liked the lap times and lap pace used with the auto lap feature.

I like the idea of the 305 and custom screens even more... but think I can see myself buying my own 201 or 301 off ebay quite soon now...

Stupot - have you bought it yet?

Why not?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hollywood said:
I wore Shiraz's 301 for the first time yesterday - used it to pace myself round 26.2 and I have to say it was superb - especially liked the lap times and lap pace used with the auto lap feature.

I like the idea of the 305 and custom screens even more... but think I can see myself buying my own 201 or 301 off ebay quite soon now...

Stupot - have you bought it yet?

Why not?
Hollywood. I haven't yet but the good news is I have convinced the wife that I need one. So I'm watching a few on ebay. At last!
I'm going for a 301. Looks like we could be involved in a bidding war!!:d

·
Registered
419 Posts
steepler said:
Which 26.2 did you run?
The very little known Orpington Marafun - very lovely race - definitly not scenic or flat, but very friendly - toilet stops were at people's houses; carrying and using the course map was essential; and the cake at the finish was superb :)

Definitely my only podium finish ever - 3rd place - only they didn't actually have a podium :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
stupot said:
Wow, want to send 'yer mrs round to our place, maybe she can have a word with the wife??? :d
I could do, however, she's not much use anymore. Long term injured (in plaster) so no use for garmin upgrade :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
hammerite said:
I could do, however, she's not much use anymore. Long term injured (in plaster) so no use for garmin upgrade :(
Oh dear! Sounds nasty.
I'm bidding on one on ebay. Stay away Hollywood!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
stupot said:
Garmin up-date.
I finally bought one from ebay, got it for around £100. Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Yippee! Well done! And I promise I didn't bid against you!

When it arrives there are quite a few other PC program you can use with it - things like SportTracks - but Shiraz just sticks with the supplied Garmin app.

Have fun - but be prepared for the 301 to rule your life now! You'll spend a minute a run standing on the doorstep waiting for it to get GPS lock :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hollywood said:
Yippee! Well done! And I promise I didn't bid against you!

When it arrives there are quite a few other PC program you can use with it - things like SportTracks - but Shiraz just sticks with the supplied Garmin app.

Have fun - but be prepared for the 301 to rule your life now! You'll spend a minute a run standing on the doorstep waiting for it to get GPS lock :)
I heard of a few different programs which you can use. I've also heard you can use it in conjunction with google earth?? If so, can you still use it with the free download?

Can't wait.... I'll get injured now..... Just watch!!! ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
stupot said:
Oh dear! Sounds nasty.
I'm bidding on one on ebay. Stay away Hollywood!!!!
She's ruptured her achilles tendon, playing netball. Likeliood is she's going to be in plaster for 10 weeks!

Well done on your purchase.

Sporttracks is fantastic (Zonefive software), it's free too. It has a button to link it into Google Earth to see the maps on there if you want, and you can use the free google earth. I think if you want direct link between your garmin and google earth you'd need the paid for version of GE.

Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts