Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really excited about my new Garmin, which should arrive at my office before 1pm tomorrow. Unfortunately I have a bookgroup meeting in the evening so I may not get to take it out until Friday. ANyway, I notice on the specs that you get a heartrate monitor with it that you strap accross your chest. Does anybody use this and is it any good? Also, is the watch user friendly. That is, can I just plug and play and get most of what I want out of it, which is basically distance, time and splits. Not sure I'll use the race yourself function, because I imagine I'm pretty damn hard to beat ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Yes it is easy. Charge, set user detail and go for a run. The computer stuff can be done later

I use the HRM as it is new. Now I understand how Mrs feels wearing a bra. It is comfy enough but odd feeling. I do not look at the BPM as I am running but am using the pace a lot.

Today I set alarms for high and low pace. As a result I worked harder up hill and slowed down hill. Net result was a couple of minutes off my 10k and I felt like I could keep going. My ave. Heart rate was lower too so I ran smarter rather than harder.

Well impressed! :d

·
Registered
516 Posts
You'll love it. The HRM is really easy to use, and it is very easy to upload the data to your PC, then onto whichever data site you choose (if you choose one).

One good thing about the race function is that you can run against yourself.

Just set one of your first runs using the watch as the bench run and off you go. There'll be too little dudes on the screen, one'll be you and the other will be your previous run, and you can see which is winning. Great fun!

There's so much to do with them. Enjoy :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Looks like I will be joining the 305 club once I come back from holiday :) Would have liked to have got it before I went away but thats not going to be possible. Will take my 201 with me and use it one last time.
By what I have read on this forum, they are top bits of kit!

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I use the HRM on mine all the time, it keeps me in check if I need to do an easy run to keep my HR down or if I am doing a speed session I can see if I am pushing myself hard enough, you may find it useful.

I don't tend to pay too much attention to the pace as it can appear to be irregular when you are running, well to me anyway, I check it when I have finished to get my avg pace.

Hope you like your new piece of kit :d

·
Registered
511 Posts
Any of you use the MotionBased site?
I've starting using this to upload my data to (aswell as SportTracks). The new 'player' is kinda addictive though to re-run your runs (although strangely Mrs SR doesn't seem to find the attraction as great after the 3rd or 4th time through :d )

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah I found it addictive too before I sold my 305. I'll use it again when I eventually get my 405. Dreaded "blue screen of death" aside it's great fun. Will try SportTracks too.

I was thinking of waiting a few months before buying the 405, but all this Garmin talk is making me jealous :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I use the HR aspect of it, and have changed the screen display to show 4 data fields including my heart rate so it's in larger figures (rather than the piddly little numbers in the top right hand corner as default).

I never really set any pace zones or anything because my pace can vary a lot with hills etc... I just start it, run, press 'lap' if needs be, and stop when I finish, then upload the stats to the computer.

Personally I've not found anything as simple and as effective to use as the standard 'Training Centre' Software that came with it. Yes the maps on it aren't great, but if I really do want to see a detailed map of where I've ran, then there's always the option to view your route in google earth, which is as detailed as any other bit of software out there.

Motion based annoyed me that you had to upload and assign names etc to your runs. The standard software IMO gives the quickest and best results when manipulating the data.

Enjoy it JBB! I'm sure you will!

btw... book reading club? isn't that for clever people? :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually, the Richard & Judy syndrome is why I haven't joined a book club! (although I must admit to really enjoying The Book Thief, which I think may have had one of their annoying stickers on before I ripped it off!)

I'm re-reading Catch-22 atm. Forgot just how damn funny it is :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've not read a 'story book' (I guess grown-ups called it 'fiction') since I was forced to at school. TV helps me ingest fiction easily enough and any time I spend with books is all about learning stuff :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't sleep unless I read for at least 30-60 minutes. Watching tv or being on teh computer just before going to bed is a guaranteed route to insomnia! Similarly with "Learning" books RS. Your mind needs to relax before sleep

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am actually reading the instruction manual. How sad am I? Anyway, I notice that it allows you to set it for running or biking. I'm curious. Why would you need to change the settings for different activities. I mean I thought the idea is it maps your distance, route, pace and time; so why would it need to be told whether you are walking, running, biking or driving in a car?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts