Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After reading the threads here and elsewhere, I've decided to get myself a Garmin GPS for running.

So there I was, credit card in hand, dreaming of it arriving the following day (with express delivery of course) and was just about to buy it from amazon when I noticed the 405 is due out this year and now I am confused.

Do I buy the 305 (which seems a great piece of kit from what people here say) or do I wait for the 405 (which may turn out to be not as good as the 305)?

Has anyone else thought of getting the 405?

p.s. I also go mountain biking so I would hope it can be used for both running and cycling.

Pete

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The 305 can be used for cycling too... Hadn't heard of the 405 until you just mentioned it - don't think i'll be tempted to change my 305 for a few years yet!

It looks more like a 'normal' timepiece, and ultimately it depends if that bothers you, or if you need any of the extra features... and of course that you can afford the extra cash.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll probably go for the 305 as I also read somewhere that the 405 has a few other missing functions. Also, the 305 is £129 in amazon which is great.

Pete

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I've got the 305 and I'm really happy with it.

I saw the 405 on the internet. Based on the photos I've seen, I think the screen of the 405 looks smaller - as I think the 305 screen is about the right size for me, I think I'll give the 405 a miss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Garmin 405

I'd wait for the Garmain 405, as it looks more like a watch which would not make you look like a nerd if worn through the day and the features look updated acording to the Google search and blogs, you can pre order for £180 on the web, just spoke to Garmin and it's not being released till the Boston marathon April 21st.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I hear that the 405's better at locating satellites and knowing where you are, but it's got one less screen on the multiscreens and no map. That's a shame if so, because the map comes in handy for me sometimes, but then extra reliability with the satellites is always good

Still sticking with my 205 for the foreseeable future

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just seen the 405 for £189 without the heart rate monitor. The dilemma I have is:

1. Garmin 405 or
2. Playstation 3

Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Buy a Garmin Single.

You won`t be indoors enough to worry about the Playstation.................:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Buy a Garmin Single.

You won`t be indoors enough to worry about the Platstation.................:d

Couldn't agree more...why sit indoors when you can be outside?!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Forerunner before PS3. Mind you, depends if you really need either. Could save your money and just invest in a decent HR monitor.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've gone and done it!

Just ordered a 405 off Amazon. Its a bit more expensive that I've seen elsewhere but they had some in stock and its getting delivered tomorrow. I'll let you all know what I think of it.

All I have to do now is:

1. Get to the door before the misses does when its delivered, and
2. When she finally does see it, try and convince her its a 40 pound sports watch

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased the 205 found it has everything i require even caters for a bike profile which is very handy. Thought about the 305 with the HR monitor but didn't fancy spending another £80 of so for the feature when i have a HR montitor that cost me 10-20 pounds.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well my 405 arrived on Saturday and its absolutely brilliant. This is my first GPS so I can't really compare it to other models, but I'm really happy with it.

I've read lots of reports from people who say it is still very big but to me, it just looks like a large sports watch. I thought I had quite thin wrists so I was a bit worried because I've heard that it looks a bit big on small wrists due to the hard plastic bits that connect to the straps but it looks fine and fits very well. I imagine it will look a bit big on smaller wrists however.

On the three times I've used it, its taken anywhere from 10 to 45 seconds to locate the satellites which is better than I thought it was going to be. It even connects when I am still in my house sometimes.

I went on a 5 mile run and I set it up so that it beeped every mile and tells me my lap time. That worked well.

The only thing I've noticed about it is that sometimes the sensors used as buttons are a little too sensitive and I keep going into the wrong menu but this can be modified within the settings.

Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts