Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the crack with a Garmin GPS device?
can someone tell me about them, they were'nt in use when i used to run, just used a watch!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
you don't need one.

(but you'll want one)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Ed, your wit is growing :)

A Garmin is a GPS unit which records your position at a given moment. By recording constantly and adding a stopwatch, it will calculate things like speed, distance and pace.

The newer ones can then upload this information to software on your computer where you can analyse to your hearts content. :)

To anticipate your next question, most peeps here have the 305, which is the second newest model. Without a few gimmicks it does virtually the same for a lot less notes.

HTH :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
^^^^
what he said!

I bought one a few weeks ago (Garmin 305) and I would gladly pay a lot more than I did due to how much encouragement it now gives me. Really helps me analyse my runs and therefore concentrate on what I need to do.
Flip side of it is it allows me to just switch it on and go run wherever I want rather than having to plan the runs in advance to ensure mileage - think it might even be helping me run slightly further than I would without it.

At the end of the day though it's a personal thing - where about are you? perhaps another forum member close to you might let you borrow it for a run to try it out???

·
Registered
408 Posts
What! Lend out my precious. I would get withdrawal symptoms
it's ok Hrun, we know you two are inseperable :p

although surprised you didn't use your little pet name for yours - bet you have one!!
c'mon, tell us..............

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I honestly dont know how I managed without it! It allows me to download training schedules to it - like interval sessions, beeping at me to speed up or slow down. I can then check everything online afterwards - and it syncs with GMaps so you can see where you were and what pace you were doing, so if you were slowing down, you can see you were going up a huge hill(!) Its a great motivator... you can see your best pace/average pace - for all of your splits. Its really easy to use as well(!) There is a setting where you can set your ideal pace... and it appears as a little running man, and your pace is measured against this (another little man) so ideally you want to keep up with the 'pacer' little man on the watch. Overall - there are probably a million other things it does that haven't been discovered yet!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
my 301 was called theo.... my 305 is called theo2

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the heads up ppl
as all my running is on a treadmill at the mo.......:)
sounds like a very usefull tool. can you tell at anytime what pace you are running or just at mile intervals?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
pretty much at anytime... you can adjust how sensitive it is too, so whether it detects sudden changes in pace or 'smooths it out'. Average pace is also an option to be displayed. Funnily enough, nobody has mentioned yet that the 305 model has a heart rate monitor as well... all the info can be plotted on graphs to see what happened as the run progressed, or information from splits can be viewed in table format.

Obviously the slight drawback being it won't work with a treadmill since you're not physically moving anywhere.

As ed says, you don't need one (I mean you don't really even need a stopwatch) but it gives you all the information you could possibly want to monitor your training progress.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Obviously the slight drawback being it won't work with a treadmill since you're not physically moving anywhere.
well it would as a heart rate monitor, and you can also get a footpod thingy so it would work with a treadmill

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think they are great. You dont really need one, but its nice to see the miles go up and getting a beep everytime you pass another mile marker.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
lol.. there is a lot of diference in the volumes... mine is really loude but sweatys isnt... i worry about waking people up on an early run

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Mine used to be loud.

Now it makes its own mind up if it wants to be heard or not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts