Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Looking for a new GPS watch,

i am stuck between the Garmin Forerunner 230 or the Suunto Ambit 3 Sport

can anyone share there thoughts

·
Registered
811 Posts
It depends what you want from a watch. They are all much of a muchness for just recording a track and displaying basic information while running.

I love my Forerunner 235, but I have no experience with Suunto.

You'll have to be more specific if you want more than that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR and really like it.

I had a very brief conversation with a friend who has a Suunto watch which she regrets though she didn't go into detail about why. I think it worked ok, but it may have simply been that most of her friends use Garmin, excluding her from the social parts of the app.

I kinda wish I'd gotten the TomTom GPS watch which can play music, so that I wouldn't need to take my phone with me (but I'm aware this is me going "ooh shiny gadget does things mine doesn't!"), I have no idea how good the actual watch it

·
Registered
811 Posts
I kinda wish I'd gotten the TomTom GPS watch which can play music, so that I wouldn't need to take my phone with me (but I'm aware this is me going "ooh shiny gadget does things mine doesn't!"), I have no idea how good the actual watch it
For what it's worth, I hated my TomTom. It was OK for basic recording of GPS track and displaying of basic stats while running, but it was extremely frustrating bordering on useless for everything else.

Maybe the newer models are better, I don't know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought a Suunto Ambit 3s, regretted it ever since, on the plus side it's made me start running without a watch more often which is VERY liberating, there's nothing more enjoyable than a long run in the mountains without a watch on your wrist keeping track of every step!

One reason I hate it is the battery doesn't last as long as Suunto say it does, on full beans setting it lasts around 6 hours so on a long mountain run it dies before the end of my run, and if you use any of the navigational aids like the compass the battery drains incredibly fast rendering all of it's navigational capabilities useless.

I've had a Garmin Etrex 10 Handheld GPS for years, it cost £80 and does the job perfectly, I just start it, put it in my bag and forget about it, then dig it out at the end of the run and turn it off - and you can use the navigational aids on the Garmin without worrying about the batteries dying, which last for days not hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts