Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gateshead showdown between joint 100m world record holders Justin Gatlin and Asafa Powell is off after Gatlin's manager pulled his client out.

The 11 June meeting would have been the first time the two had raced since Gatlin equalled Powell's time of 9.77secs earlier in May.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/5024408.stm

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You need to edit your front page mate!
'Gatlin pulls out of Powell' is not something I want to see when I am eating my breakfast!

·
Registered
110 Posts
How many tickets must they have sold on the basis of the Powell/Gatlin clash!? Bit of a dissapointment for anyone thats parted with their hard earned cash.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ajtuna said:
How many tickets must they have sold on the basis of the Powell/Gatlin clash!? Bit of a dissapointment for anyone thats parted with their hard earned cash.
I know they're the 2 best in the world at their distance, but anyone who wants to pay just for 10s of action has got more money than sense!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The only time I've been to watch proper athletics (Crystal Palace a few years ago) I was quite surprised that almost all the track stuff was very dull to watch... whereas the field events were actually much more interesting... and that wasn't just cos Yelena was there ;-)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hollywood said:
The only time I've been to watch proper athletics (Crystal Palace a few years ago) I was quite surprised that almost all the track stuff was very dull to watch... whereas the field events were actually much more interesting... and that wasn't just cos Yelena was there ;-)

I've been to two events, Olympic Trials/AAA champs in 1988 at Alexander Stadium it was very exciting as a 10 year old. Especially as I got to meet Daley Thompson and the then not so famous Linford Christie and Colin Jackson (who were parked next to us in a rather nice beige Ford Orion!).

The other time was 1998 at the Indoor Grand Prix in Birmingham when Haile Gabressalassie (sp?) broke the indoor 2,000 metre record with Scatman John playing loud to help keep his rhythm!! There were loads of Ethiopian supporters there and I think one broke his neck trying to jump from the crowd onto the track to mob Haile!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts