Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just looking for some last minute advice about gels, should I just take it straight from the pouch and then wash it down with water or should I mix it with water and sip at it?

O.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
the former.... if you can stand it :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm, ok :) I will give it a go......out on a half marathon run tomoz so might try and see if it helps......what do people do with the empty packet after eating/drinking/slurping the gel....

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones I have just now are called PowerBar, its a Black current flavour gel with suggested usage of "One pouch every 20 - 45 minutes during excercise with 400ml Water" but it doesnt say about how to take it, dilute it in water or just slurp it out the pouch. :)

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ok... well, straight out the pouch directly followed with water, so if you're not carrying water then you'll need to take a gel at a drink station.

Just for future reference, you don't need to take water with SiS gels, but it's all down to personal preferance

Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, I will be carrying water on me because I think its going to be a hot one tomorrow! It also means I don't need to slow down for the water station.....really want to get the 1/2 marathon done in under 2 hours tomorrow but we will see......

O.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Good luck, Owain

I usually just consider the 400ml of water as "advice" and ignore it so long as I take on water regularly during a race. Trying to drink that much in one go while running is a tad hard for me. Also, one gel every 20 minutes would give me sugar overload after about... 25 minutes... :rolleyes: But everyone develops their own system that works

Best of luck in Tewkesbury, Trin :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

I can honestly say I am not going to take a power gel again, Im going to need to find something but not gels! 45 mins in to the race and I thought, right, I will take my gel now....so, there I am taking my gel thinking it tastes OK, then BANG, really bad pain just behind my rib, it wasnt a stitch (I don't think) and it took my breath away so much so that I had to go to a walk....eventually the pain went away and I got running again but then a stitch came in, I ran through that and I was fine but it has to be the gel.....it was in a matter of seconds of taking it. Wasnt nice!

I had taken the gels before but not in a race enviroment, only when out doing long runs and probably a slightly slower pace.

A mars bar or something like that will need to do the job for the edinburgh marathon or I will mix up a energy drink to take with me.

O.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Surely if you've loaded your energy up in the day or so before the race, all you need is water at the stations.

I never take water with me on my normal runs and force myself to take it in races and never ever waste any time or money on 'sports drinks'. You're experience has re affirmed this for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
oh and by the way.. never try something for the first time on race day..

bit late now.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
maybe it was just that gel that didn't suit you. You could try the gels that you don't need water with... they work for me

The good thing about gels as opposed to 'food' such as mars bar etc, is that you don't have to chew and the body can get to work with it straight away

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Owain said:
I might give that ago.....I will need something for the full marathon but I don't want to go through that again!

O.
My advice would be to train with them first and if all goes ok, then use a couple in a shorter race. If that works then train with them on one of your 20 milers

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive only got 2 weeks today until the full marathon and Ive done my big 20miler......will need to try them on short runs only.

SIS gels was it you recommended ?

O.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
you on the SIS payroll trin ??

my personal preference is high 5 chocolate gels.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Owain said:
Ive only got 2 weeks today until the full marathon and Ive done my big 20miler......will need to try them on short runs only.

SIS gels was it you recommended ?

O.
Yep, I've never had a problem with them and they've given me what I needed

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ed_m said:
you on the SIS payroll trin ??

my personal preference is high 5 chocolate gels.

I wish :rolleyes:

I have thought of those chocolate gels, but as much as I love chocolate, I don't think I could face it in a race

1 - 20 of 20 Posts