Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been around for a while but had a lay off due to an op. I have been back running a while now albeit on a aimless basis and I would like to change this.

My goals are to improve my park run PB which is 26.19 at a hilly course (462 out of 519) and I am told that I can take off about 2 mins for a flat course I am not sure how accurate that is but I'd much rather concentrate on improving my home PB. The other thing is I would like to run a half marathon and maybe the full marathon at some point.

I have roughly been following this:

Tuesday run is done in the evening and Thursday is a morning.

Tues - running club they will do an easy 5k although there are 3 different groups so I can go in a quicker group. I have a roughly 0.8 mile run to the start so I end up around 4.5-5 miles.
Thu - 30 mins typically around 3-3.5 miles
Sat - Park run 5K
Sun - Long run currently up to 6.6 miles Mixed terrain and takes in some hills. I am increasing mileage by 0.5 each week and dropping back to 75% of last distance every 4 weeks.

What should I do / more less of and what sessions should I look to increase pace or should I even bother at this stage and just up the mileage on the Sunday?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'd change the thursday session to speedwork. The exact distance is irrelevant but you don't want to be doing more than an hour. So you'd warm up, do maybe 35 minutes of reps of some kind, then a cool down and stretching. Vary the sessions; you'll find loads online.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just to confuse you even more, i'd do:-

Mon - Rest
Tue - Running club 4.5-5 miles. Put some effort in.
Wed - 40-45mins 4-5 miles SLOW
Thu - 40-45mins 4-5 miles MEDIUM
Frid - 40-45mins 4-5 miles SLOW or Rest.
Sat - Park run 5K, with 1 mile wu/wd, 5-6 miles
Sun - Long run 80-90mins 7-10 miles. Mixed terrain and takes in some hills.

Start runs SLOW, finish them faster. Get used to finishing runs faster than you started.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback

Gary apologies for my ignorance but what is 1 mile wu/wd - thanks

As an aside I have just signed up for the Bournemouth Marathon next October

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback

Gary apologies for my ignorance but what is 1 mile wu/wd - thanks

As an aside I have just signed up for the Bournemouth Marathon next October
Sorry - wu = warmup, wd = warmdown.

What I usually do when I go to my local parkrun is run there and back. A good time efficient way to both get a warmup and some decent miles in for the day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - wu = warmup, wd = warmdown.

What I usually do when I go to my local parkrun is run there and back. A good time efficient way to both get a warmup and some decent miles in for the day.
Thank you and doh! there was me thinking it was some ultra technical interval technique.

My local park run is 2.8 miles away so it will make it a good run

1 - 7 of 7 Posts