Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my name is Seb, im 17 and have done a lot of weight training in the past, im hoping to get as good at running as possible and would just like some advice from those on here. I hope to join the Royal Marines Reserve, (I am in , but must complete a selection weekend).

Current situation:

I am not as fit as i would like to be (Im just not good at running at all!!!)
I do 3miles in about 26-27minutes on a good day. And i run a mile in about 8minutes.

My goals I am sure of,

...However the way to achieve them I am not; as I am unfamilliar with running programs.

Goals:

Being able to hold 7minute miles for about 30minutes no problem.

---3miles in under 21mins every time no problem.
---1mile sprint in under 6minutes every time without hassle.

If i could get some good information on that, that would be awsome.

Oh yeh, i have 2 months!!!!!!

Thanks for your time,
Seb

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Seb, and welcome :)

Check some of the threads in the Training sub-Forum, such as "Increase speed".
Once you read through those threads (not all are useful to your situation but some are), you'll have a better idea of what to do.
There is a lot of information there.
Any doubts, just get back here and for sure you'll find help.

The site www.pponline.co.uk has a lot of good articles as well.

It may help us to know:

Your height/weight.
How much time you can dedicate to training.

Two months is not a long time... but it may be enough for all you want to achieve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the very welcoming response.

I am:

154lbs about 70kg.
I am 5'8 about 172cm
I am 13% Body Fat

I will be over the next 2 months cutting down on bodyfat big time, aiming for a bodyfat percentage of between 6-8%.This will take me down about 12lbs.

I will be on a caloric defecit over the next 2months, however i will be carbohydrate cycling for the harder days, in order to retain muscle and strength while keeping energy levels up.

I know the goals seem small to you, but for me to achieve those goals within 2months would be just awsome.

I am a student doing my Alevels, however i have just done my exams. This will leave me A LOT OF SPARE TIME TO EAT AND TRAIN AS I WISH. I have deliberately NOT GOT A JOB so that i can train specificaly for RMR selection.

Im just going to go and read all those articles/information etc.

Thanks again.

Seb

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
If you haven't already it would be a good idea to find a running partner or a club to join with someone who has official coach status. Trying to reach your targets by yourself is possible of course but it will be easier and more fun if you have company!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i contemplated joining a football club, but that is out of the question due to the injuries i now seem to get from kicking just about anything.

I thought about a running club, I will look into it further.

How realistic are my goals?
And how should i go about achieving them?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bearing in mind your age and the fact that you are in the RMR I think your targets are achievable.

You'll need to put in a lot of work but clearly you are planning for that!

It will be necessary to do a mix of runs...tempo, speed sessions, hillwork and long slow runs to build up speed and stamina. Don't do 2 hard days training in a row and take at least 1 day a week off.

Doing 2 sessions a day is a good way to improve but I wouldn't suggest that you do that until you've built up your mileage over the first month.The rule of thumb is that you only increase your mileage by 10% each week and your long run is in itself no more than 10% longer than the week's before.

Make sure you have the right running shoes for your feet and build.

A local club will certainly want to have someone like you join them so make those enquiries asap!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As i am trying to cut down bodyfat, i will be doing 1 hours fasted cardio a day ie: wake up have some protein , BCAAs etc Then half an hour later go off for 1 hour of cardio.

mon - 3mile run followed by 10x30m hill sprints.

tue - 1 HOURS WALKING WITH 30KG

wed - RMR training (every other week) OR 3mile run followed by 10x30m hill sprints.

thu - 1 HOURS WALKING WITH 30KG

fri - 3mile run followed by 10x30m hill sprints.

sat - 1 HOURS WALKING WITH 30KG

sun - 3mile run followed by 10x30m hill sprints.

I will be doing weight training every day apart from sunday (different bodypart each day, should effect running tooo much).

Now this, as a running program is awfull, thats why I need help haha, IF someone could help me create a program that would enable me to achieve my goals in 2 months, then i will literaly BEAST MYSELF in completing the program.

Also: why would a running club want to have me with them?

Cheers.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Like Steve suggested, it would be good to join a club, or at least have a coach, to monitor your progress and adapt the training accordingly.

For now, I would replace one of the "3mile run followed by 10x30m hill sprints." by a rest day the "1 HOURS WALKING WITH 30KG" sessions by longer runs (as long as you can go without getting exhausted - probably 3-5 miles??).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts