Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been signed off from running for 6 weeks due to peroneal tendonitis :(, I am now in week 7 and would like to start running again:) has any one got any advice as to how I should start off - run/walk or short runs of 2/3 miles, and how many days should I rest in between runs. ??
Before my injury I had done bath half, and was looking forward to a couple more halfs in sept/oct plus some 10ks thrown in.
Thanking you :cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm no expert but I would start with a walk/run that is walk say 1k walk then try a short run of perhaps the same, then walk again for 1k. give your self a few hours and then see how you feel. I don't know how painful your injury would have been but a short session like the above would give you an idea if you have had enough time off from training/racing.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would just keep it to minimum of a couple of miles each run until you start getting used to it and take it really easy.

Hope you get back in to it soon. :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
When I returned from an injury not long after I started running I used walk/run technique to get me back into it and it wasn't long before I was running again but the advice always is don't expect to pick up where you left off and listen to your body - if it starts to hurt ease back and make sure you have at least one rest day between runs.

I've just started to return to running after a bit of a break and its tough going sometimes but I always feel better after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanxs for the advice, look slike run/walk it is then!
Injury was extremely painful for the first week, and has very slowly improved, I can still feel ankle is tight when under strain but not painful. Think I am going to have to be patient on this one....! :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
when do you think you might venture out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, if you can walk on it for say 30 min ok, do a steady jog (we would be talking around 60-65% max HR) for 2-3 miles max. Do this 1-2 times per week, then after a couple of weeks if your ok, build it up to two 4 mile runs etc. Steady progression, so dont increase your weekly mileage by any more than 20%. I am recovering from a iliotibial band strain and have followed this, I am up to 13 miles a week, two 5 milers, one 3 miler (pre injury was doing 30+ miles per week, start of rehab was doing 3-5 miles per week). Also as you start to build the mileage spread the runs out and maintain a modest mileage, just so the load is spread out rather than condensed into a couple of runs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts