Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I used to run about 5/6 miles every night, but eventually stopped for one reason or another. I tried to get back into it again about 3 years ago, but after a couple of runs my right knee was giving me so much pain the next day I was having problems walking down stairs.

Anyway, after not running for 8 years, I have finally decided that I want to get fit again and enjoy running! I have a really nice park (Stanley Park in Blackpool!) right on my doorstep and I would really like to take advantage of the park and the upcoming summer. I am going to be following the Couch-to-5K plan from CoolRunning.com and was looking for a bit of advice in two areas.

Firstly, my knee! I think the pain in my knee was down to not warming up properly and running on tarmac. So I have decided I am going to get to 5k on a different park by running on grass only, I am thinking this should reduce the impact on my right knee until I am fit enough to run on tarmac again - but can anyone else think of anything such as specific warm ups that can stop my knee pain? I have a pair of New Balance trainers designed for running so my trainers should be okay.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a running watch that I can program with the intervals on the Couch-to-5k plan so it will beep at me when its time to walk and when its time to jog. I have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 305, as it seems to have everything I could ever need, and I could also use it for biking which I do quite a bit of - but I don't know if I want to spend that much on a watch just yet... are there any watches that will beep on pre-set intervals that are cheap - around £30-40?

Thanks for any/all replies!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't help with the knee, although I'm sure more stretching and running on a more forgiving surface will help a great deal.

As for the watch, though, I have this one: http://www.runnersneed.co.uk/shopping/item.aspx?id=3977 There's a men's version for the same price, too.

At £50, it's a bit more then the £30-40 you're looking to spend, but if you shopped around, I'm sure you'd find it cheaper somewhere else.

It lets you time up to 50 laps (hence the name), but the functionality I bought it for was exactly what you are looking for - the ability to set up intervals. The one restriction is that it only lets you alternate 2 intervals (eg 3 mins run, 1 min walk, 3 mins run, 1 min walk, ...). If you wanted to do something a bit more complex (eg 5 mins run, 1 min walk, 3 mins run, 1 min walk, x mins run, x mins walk, ....) you wouldn't be able to do that.

I've found it really easy to use and I can hear the beeps clearly without them being so loud as to disturb the peace of a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies!

Hello to everyone too, I didn't really introduce myself in my first post :)

bagpuddycat said:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can't help with the knee, although I'm sure more stretching and running on a more forgiving surface will help a great deal.
I ran on a running machine last night for 3 mintues, walk for 2 1/2 minutes, ran for 2 minutes walked for 1 1/2 minutes and ran for the last 1 1/2 mintues. I used a gradient of 2 and ran at speed "6" (whatever this is!).

My knee is totally fine today, so hopefully if I can build up my stamina using a combination of a treadmill and grass I should be able to get on the road in a few weeks.

bagpuddycat said:
As for the watch, though, I have this one: http://www.runnersneed.co.uk/shopping/item.aspx?id=3977 There's a men's version for the same price, too.

At £50, it's a bit more then the £30-40 you're looking to spend, but if you shopped around, I'm sure you'd find it cheaper somewhere else.
I think I used to have a really old version of this watch, so I would be quite happy getting another one. I am stuck between this:

http://www.runnersneed.co.uk/shopping/item.aspx?id=3974

and this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=816090&langId=-1

I like the idea of being able to see how far I have run too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts