Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, having got the marathon out of the way I'd like to concentrate on improving my 10k time. I've got the endurance but really need to increase my speed. Has anyone got any training suggestions as to hw I might do this?

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
selectomatic said:
Hello everyone, having got the marathon out of the way I'd like to concentrate on improving my 10k time. I've got the endurance but really need to increase my speed. Has anyone got any training suggestions as to hw I might do this?
I would look at interval training - it's a sure fire way to increase speed as it gets your body used to running at pace.

Here are a few example interval sessions:

30 min run at a steady pace and finish with 10 x 100m sprints with 15 second rest periods in between each repetition.

12 x 400m at pace with 45 second rest inbetween each rep.

16 x 200 sprints with decremental rest inbetween each so...

1. 200m then 60 seconds rest
2. 200m then 45 seconds rest
3. 200m then 30 seconds rest
4. 200m then 15 seconds rest

Repeat 4 times.

When doing intervals try to keep the time you take to do each interval the same rather than doing one fast interval and tailing off as the session progresses.

You should really feel like you've had a good workout doing sessions like these - if not you're you need to increase the pace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would agree, intervals are a good training technique to increase speed. I wouldn't advise doing them everyday though. Make them part of a varied training routine. Its still important to get some steady runs in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There's also a school of thought that intervals such as these are two short. So make sure you do 600's and 800 + intervals as well as tempo runs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
3 basic sets of runs will help :
- intervals (and I'd be tempted to go for 600 or 800m rather than 200), start with 3 reps then increase to 6 or 8
- hill work - great to develop leg strength without the stresses of speedwork on the joints
- tempo runs - 30 to 40 minutes at about 10k pace

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I used to do regular speed work but after a year of very little results I stopped it...all pain and no gain!

I then focused on hill work...one good hill session per week. The results I've had from that have been amazing... I smashed every one of my PB's last year and am still improving. My 10k time has gone from 48.23 to 45.55...and recently to 43.44. I've also taken a total of 17 minutes off my marathon time and 9 minutes off my half marathon time, which is now 1.37.

Hills are the answer I tell you!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like hills. Hills are your friend. Hills are good (in a painful way). Just as hard work as speedwork, but with less impact-related risks. Still like to do some proper speedwork to get the legs used to moving quickly though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Up to recently I've just been running and that's it, been worried about injury so been steadily building my mileage up.

Just recently I started doing speed work, hill sessions and intervals once a week at club nights. Not sure I'll see the benefits right away as I'm marathon training (if I get faster will it be down to higher mileage or quality sessions).

But I think I will see the benefit come the shorter race season in the summer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I find I see the benefits on the next long run. Somehow it just seems much easier after a midweek speed session.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
debbo said:
So Trinity do you do sessions of intervals up a hill, or just run lots of hills?

Both... because of where I live I can't really avoid hills (not that I want to of course...cept if I want/need an easy run).
I also do hill sessions, ie run up and down the same hill between 7 and 10 times. I usually only do one of those a week.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trinity said:
Both... because of where I live I can't really avoid hills (not that I want to of course...cept if I want/need an easy run).
I also do hill sessions, ie run up and down the same hill between 7 and 10 times. I usually only do one of those a week.
I know the feeling my beautifull county is undulating as race oganisors put it ,even the flat races have hills in

·
Registered
7 Posts
GB, you're right that even the flat races seem to have hills in Dorset. I've done harder undulating races here than races said to be hilly in other counties. It's always a nice surprise though when entering a new race that says hilly to find it's only undulating compared to my own training routes!

Hi Trinity, I agree hills are great for strength. Hill reps apparently are the ones to do for 10k and rollling hilly course working hard up the hills for longer distances such as half marathon to marathon.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hello Hilly... long time no see/hear

goldbeetle... you should come and do my clubs race... Hogweed Hilly Half, run over our training ground and absolutely stunning. It's on the 19th March this year (which happens to be my birthday:))

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trinity said:
goldbeetle... you should come and do my clubs race... Hogweed Hilly Half, run over our training ground and absolutely stunning. It's on the 19th March this year (which happens to be my birthday:))

Ok where is the Hogweed should I bring a card,box of chocs or flowers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts