Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently wearing a fairly solid pair of Nike trainers which seem to be doing the job and aren't causing me pain, but I quite fancy getting myself along to a proper running shop to get a pair to match my stride and such like. The only downside is that I really don't fancy paying more than £40 for a pair of trainers. Will I be laughed out of a shop for wanting to pick something up on that sort of budget? If so then I'll just pick up a pair online, it'd just be nice to have something that's going to help me out a bit.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Ok. I am going to make a point, but don't want to start a debate as I can see both sides of the story.

Most shops offer gait analysis for free. They do this to encourage people to visit the shop and hopefully purchase their new trainers from the shop.

Whilst there is no obligation to buy there are a couple of things to consider. If the shop does not sell shoes then at best it will stop offering free gait analysis and at worst it will close and the staff will lose their jobs.

I will leave it to your conscience but remember the Internet is cheaper as it does not offer the same service.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Running shoes are like most things, you get what you pay for. If you're doing any sort of regular serious running get the best shoes you can afford.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I am going to make a point, but don't want to start a debate as I can see both sides of the story.

Most shops offer gait analysis for free. They do this to encourage people to visit the shop and hopefully purchase their new trainers from the shop.

Whilst there is no obligation to buy there are a couple of things to consider. If the shop does not sell shoes then at best it will stop offering free gait analysis and at worst it will close and the staff will lose their jobs.

I will leave it to your conscience but remember the Internet is cheaper as it does not offer the same service.
I probably wasn't clear with my original post, as I meant that if I'd struggle to pick up a pair within my budget I wouldn't bother going to the running shop. It's not ideal but as I'm just starting out and just out of uni I'm not in a position to be blowing a huge wad of money on a pair of trainers. I know why they offer the service and wouldn't want to take the michael by going in, taking up their time then running off and getting a pair for £20 from ebay. Sorry if I wasn't clear though - I agree with you completely on your point!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Go in and ask! running shops often have last seasons colours (and that's often what they are, just a different colour) at heavily reduced prices... hopefully they'll be able to help out!

Alternatively, if they don't sell trainers in that price bracket, ask them if they could give you advice on what trainers you'd need to look out for, if they don't offer a gait analysis, perhaps offer to pay a small fee to have one done?

I understand people on tight budgets, but if you buy a pair of trainers online for £40 and they start causing you an injury within a week or two... what kind of value is that when they have to go straight to the bin? :((

Try your luck at the local shop, it's not going to cost you anything if they can't help! :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sorry Monk, that wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Just a view I have suppressed recently.

Last seasons colours is the way to get a bargain. I saved a tenner that way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Monk, that wasn't meant to be a personal attack. Just a view I have suppressed recently.

Last seasons colours is the way to get a bargain. I saved a tenner that way.
That's fine, just wanted to make sure people knew that I'm just poor, rather than tight! :d

·
Registered
295 Posts
im going for a gait analysis at the weekend i booked today, went in six months ago and was told the gait was by booking only but they could advice me on what type i need, i left the shop with a £100 pair of asics which i've never really been happy with, i wore my old nike shoes for a 3 mile run tonight and beat my best time, only problem is that after 3 mile my left foot swells and my shoes get to tight:worried:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
interesting! I've heard that feet can swell up over the course of a long, though I've no idea of how much (and what constitutes a long run!). I seem to spend an eternity tying my laces to be sure I've got them at a perfectly comfortable tension. Sad eh? lol.

Best of luck with the gait analysis... let us know how you get on! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I seem to spend an eternity tying my laces to be sure I've got them at a perfectly comfortable tension. Sad eh? lol.
Thank gawd for that, someone else who does ... I thought I was developing some form of bizarre pre-run obsessive compulsive disorder :d

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm never happy with my laces either! Not sure if we're perfectionists or just have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder!

·
Registered
295 Posts
just back from my gait, i got videod wearing my old nike max cushion and my asics kayano support duomax, the guy said there was nothing to sugest i needed any kind of support so i bought a pair of asics gel landerith £60, so i guess i just buy neutral running shoes from now on?

never really said what type of running shoes i should buy, he said the landerith were a mix of support and cushion ans sugested i give them a try, im not exactly filled with confidence:confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all

Blimey, I am the same with my laces. Have them tied and untied a few time before I set off. Sometimes one foot feels slack then it's the other.

Glad it's not just me then!

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
272 Posts
Asics Gel Landreth is a neutral shoe and by the sounds of it, that is the type of shoe that you need. The Nike Air Max will be neutral but not designed specifically for running, whereas the Asics Kayano is a high level support shoe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Asics Gel Landreth is a neutral shoe and by the sounds of it, that is the type of shoe that you need. The Nike Air Max will be neutral but not designed specifically for running, whereas the Asics Kayano is a high level support shoe.
tried a short run lastnight with the landreth(2mile) and they felt ok, used my kayano tonight on a 5 mile run and i still feel ok, tomorrow i will try the landreth again on a 3mile run just to ease into them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts