Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post, trying to get over what's now turned into a 4 month calf problem!

I'm 23, 60kg/5ft10 and have been running properly for about 3 years. At my peak, April or so of this year, my best times (on the road) were anything sub-20 for a 5k and a 10k in about 42. I was doing about 150k a month, 2/3 of that which was pushing it at maximum pace or with hills and the other 1/3 more gentle.

Anyhow, I was a bit stupid and at the start of June this year, I was running and felt a slight something in my calf. Thinking it was nothing, I finished the run and then did another couple of runs despite still having the niggle until it became more than a niggle and I had to stop. I left it for about three weeks, just walking on it, and it didn't get better so I went to see the physio who's given me some stretches. I kept doing these and it did seem to get better but I tried a short run yesterday (5km, 5 min/km pace) and it's flared up again! I'm planning to give it two weeks off, regliously follow my stretches and then try again but I'm resigned to the fact that it'll probably flare up again. Suffice it to say that I'm a bit fed up and have a feeling that this will just keep cropping up again whenever I try to run.

My running shoes admittedly aren't a perfect fit but I've never had any issue with them up until now and I was pounding out hundreds of kms in them so I don't think they're the problem? I also know road running is not as good as treadmill running but again, I've been fine on the roads for about a year so it seems strange for this to be the problem. I'm under the impression that a complete tear can heal in less than four months (which my physio has assured me mine never was) so I just don't really know what to do!

I will book another appointment if an extended rest doesn't work but I just have a feeling this is going to be something chronic that's come out of nowhere.

Any advice would be gratefully taken on board

TIA

·
Registered
865 Posts
Rather than pick an arbitrary time, you need to rest it until it is totally pain-free. Then introduce walking for up to an hour, then some walking with hills. If it is still pain-free then introduce some gentle running, only slowly increasing, avoiding hills, low drop shoes and speedwork. Depending on the severity it could take months, not weeks, but if you allow the muscle to heal it will pass.

Incidentally, I'd comment on your training. There seems to be way too much high intensity as a proportion of your total running, and no, treadmill is not better than running outdoors. I believe getting used to one exact unvarying surface with no small changes of foot angle increases your chance of injury in the long teem. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rather than pick an arbitrary time, you need to rest it until it is totally pain-free. Then introduce walking for up to an hour, then some walking with hills. If it is still pain-free then introduce some gentle running, only slowly increasing, avoiding hills, low drop shoes and speedwork. Depending on the severity it could take months, not weeks, but if you allow the muscle to heal it will pass.

Incidentally, I'd comment on your training. There seems to be way too much high intensity as a proportion of your total running, and no, treadmill is not better than running outdoors. I believe getting used to one exact unvarying surface with no small changes of foot angle increases your chance of injury in the long teem. Good luck!
Thanks for that, I was told walking was fine and hence I've been doing that combined with my stretches but maybe that's why it hasn't ever totally healed?

In the meantime do you think cycling is an acceptable alternative to try and maintain some fitness or is that a no go?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Judging by the size of some cyclists’ calves it doesn’t look like they get rested when cycling :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts