Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to this forum and much appreciate some advice.

I've been training hard for the Venice marathon a week on Sunday, and did my last long run last weekend. Trouble is, no matter how I pace myself, how much I hydrate on the way round, etc, my legs start to ache after about 13 miles and I hit the wall at around 17/18 miles every time in training.

Last weekend, after that distance I really couldn't go further so took a bus home, and was so knackered (leading to low blood sugar) I fainted whilst stood on the bus. Not the most fun experience, and three failed attempts to get to 20 miles leave me wondering whether I should attempt the marathon.

Part of me says on the day there'll be plenty of crowd support, water stops and camaraderie, which will make all the difference - but if I hit the wall with 8 miles to go, it's not going to feel a worthwhile experience.

I'm male, 27 years old, 6'4, slim and in good cardiovascular shape (cycle half an hour a day and run several times a week).

Anyway, much appreciate your advice on whether to go ahead, and if so how to make the difference...

Thanks,
Russell

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i would look to your diet first of all.. are you eating propper?

also are you using gels?

i admit i have never gone over 14mile but i know even at that i was using a couple of carbo gels

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Before I start, I have to admit I've never ran a marathon, so may advice may be flawed, but I'll share my thoughts so you can interpret them as you wish.

Achey legs is to be expected with those kind of distances I'm afraid... though the feeling weak and fainting isn't normal; if you're hitting the wall, no amount of hydration is going to keep you from it since water doesn't contain any energy!

You need to be taking onboard energy. Once your glycogen stores are used up, the body needs to look elsewhere for energy, and when it struggles to find a decent supply on energy, that's when 'the wall' comes in (I think?!). Either an energy drink, carbo gels, jelly babies or something similar should help you round, though make sure you try them before race day to avoid any adverse reactions and illness mid-race!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
as a kinda related note, ive noticed the past few days that tescos/ sainsburys are stocking a full range of the lucazade gels/ powders... or at least they are in the warwick one

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Gels are a big help for me over those kind of distances.
From all of the different one's I've tried, powerbar seem to suit me best.
In the few days leading up to your long run maybe try cutting back slightly on the protein but increase your consumption of carbs, as you would leading in to a marathon.
sweet foods are good.
Try not to allow the 17/18 mile distance to become a mental barrier.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Strangely I like the Lucozade ones the most - something about the thick sticky syrupy'ness of it (which everyone else seems to dislike) makes it taste great :)

Does anyone know much about blood sugar levels and spikes in it etc when consuming simple sugars while running? (e.g. I know during everyday life it can wreak havoc making you feel tired etc - but is this eradicated while you're running?) What about if you were to consume a gel or something say 30mins before exercise?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
tbh.. i thought it was a differnent type of sugar.. hence why gels are diabetic safe.. although i may be totally wrong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts