Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I normally run 4 miles in about 26-27 mins, not sure if this is any good, but anyway just wondering how I could get quicker. I am 6ft 1 and 12 stone, is weight a problem or is fitness the key? I really would like to get down to 11.5 stone, but I do a lot of cycling and so have relatively large thigh muscles - so that would obviously contribute to the weight. Any training tips/advice/criticisms gratefully received.

Cheers, Gavin

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gavin, the time you've said is pretty quick. Have you been running long? What training do you do? Do you have any targets?

I doubt your weight is too much of a problem. Your wieght seems pretty much bang on recommended for your height.
Most people will say the way to get quicker is a good varied training programme. Put in a speed session (fartlek, intervals, pyramids) every week, and/or a hill session every week along with a few normal/slow paced runs to allow recovery and a longer run. I think a general consensus is not to do hard effort sessions (speed/hill) back to back.

If you haven't already it might be worth targetting a 10k or something like that. Fulmar's training schedule for 10k could possibly be appropriate for you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know - I am actually quite busy but the busier I am at work the more I need to snatch a minute here and there to
- blow off steam
- gather my thoughts
- etc

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hollywood said:
So what training are you doing currently? (Question to Gavin not Greg and Hammerite!)
I am deeply hurt by your lack of interest in my training. Just because you got wet with Europe's finest...:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Hollywood - sorry hammerite and greg- no offence!

I am currently doing 4 mile runs around my local village - although its a bit of a crap route its very much downhill for the first 2 miles and then up hill for the last 2 miles and it hurts! Seems to be going ok, although I am going to look to do some 10km running, but I think I will have to work up to that! Can you guys suggest any methods of recovery, there are lots of sports drinks and fuel for before, during and after exercise but are any of them any good?

cheers Gavin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
(sorry for the very late reply!)

Intervals and tempo runs.

Especially intervals.

Got to learn to run faster.

And the easiest way to do that is to run faster.

At our running club we do one session a week, generally involving 6 or 8 bursts of 2 to 3 minutes each time with 1 or 2 minutes rest between each one. It isn't that much distance but it hurts and it is effective.

As for recovery.... you don't need the sports drinks! Some good basic carbs (e.g. a banana), some water and some light stretching after each bit of exercise and you'll be fine. Don't get me wrong - I do use sports drinks (specifically Lucozade orange puke) but only just before races and sometimes during longer races (HM and above)

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts