Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice of being sick after a run. Not a pleasant topic I know but its driving me nuts!

Im training for a 10k at the mo. Have about 5 weeks to go. Today after a run of about
8.5km, slow paced I went back to a friend's house, had a few glasses of water and then after half an hour a half cup of tea (no sugar). On the way home I started to feel really ill and eventually had to be sick on the side of the street.

I've felt like this a few times before but I've never vomited like I did tonight. I know that many ppl will say that maybe im pushing myself too hard but i really don't feel like im doing more than my body is ready for. I've been training steadily for weeks and have been running altogether since April this year.

I think I've eaten enough food today, but not too much either. The last thing I ate before I ran was a small handful of nuts about 90mins beforehand.

Can anyone help me out with this? Im really worried that this will plague me in all my runs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a similar problem which (I'm sure you don't want to know) affects most of my digestive tract. I can only run 4 hours after my last food. I've tried eliminating chemicals such as phenylanine and aspartame which hasn't worked.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I suspect that problems like this and their solutions are very specific to the individual. That said, what works for me is running early in the morning having eaten a banana and taken on board as much water as feels comfortable. A proper breakfast after I cool down and no tricky nausea incidents if I train in this way.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'm the same as Nick B. Whatever sport I do I can't eat for at least 4 hours beforehand and ideally 5 hours. As you can imagine this can create difficulties before long runs/Marathons as I need to take on fuel late at night and sleep on fullish stomach...not generally recommended. I am though able to have a coffee an hour or so before running...which also generally isn't recommended but works for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies. I've done a few short runs this week and I've been fine but have another long one tomorrow. Im not going to eat for 4 or 5 hrs beforehand and bring some water with me to sip. I'll keep you posted as to how i get on!

·
Registered
151 Posts
bone idle, it may be that you need to take on more fuel during your long run. feeling sick can be down to the fact that your body has used up the available fuel and you may also be low on salt. Experiment with using jelly babies or if you want to spend more money carbo gels and other such things. Personally I use Jelly babies because they do exactly the same as the sports drinks/gels cost a third of the the price and taste good (especially the green ones!)

Recently on a long sunday run, I had to stop after 13 miles as I felt as if I was going to be sick, I wasn't but the feeling that I was was there for some time before I could get going again. This was a Sunday morning, and I hadn't had anything to eat beforehand as I had been out for a big meal on the Sat evening.

I have also felt quite sick after long runs similar to yourself. Since I started taking out half a dozen jelly babies with me I have had no problems. My long runs tend to be 2 hours plus at the moment so I am taking them after about an hour. You could chew a few after 30 minutes then again after an hour. It may not be for you, as it is quite strange to eat on a run to start with, but is has worked for me. I assume you take water out with you on your long runs. If you don't and you take the sweets (or gels) then take water as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My long run last week was 70mins so not quite as long as yours! I will try the jelly babies when my runs get a bit longer. For now I think bringing water with me might be a good start! Damn, I forgot my feed bottle. stupid me!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed my 70 mins run on Friday without any puking incidents!
I starved myself from lunch time so I think thats the way forward for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts