Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie question here: How do I stop getting a stitch?

I get one soon after I start running and it stays with me for the entire run, sometimes on one side, sometimes both. I'm only running a couple of miles, still being a beginner, but its disheartening when I can feel the pain coming on only after a minute or so.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I used to get stitch all the time - felt like something was exploding inside! The only thing I did to deal with it was stop and walk for a bit, wait till it subsided, then just start running again, although some will just run straight through it. I still do get stitch occasionally if I go off too fast, so I slow down to a more bearable pace. It should go away the more running you do.

You might want to watch what and when you're eating - it used to be worse for me if I ate bananas anything under 2 hours before running!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jonno,

I can't help but can sympathise if that's any good to you :)

I usually run at 6am after just 2 glasses of water and get no stitch at all. However WHENEVER I've tried after eating anything at all - even 2 slices of toast 3 hours previously...I get the stitch! Horrible!

Let me know if you fix it ;)

Tiff.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
side stitch in running is thought to be caused by the liver and stomach pulling down on the diaphragm (main breathing muscle)...

it is more common to get a right sided stitch since the liver is on the right and larger than the stomach (which is on the left) - but getting a left sided stitch is also common when you run on a full stomach...

to prevent a stitch i'd say...

- avoid running on a full stomach
- strengthen core muscles - e.g. abdominals, lower back
- do not run at full intensity at the start of the run (either warm up to it or start the run slower)

·
Registered
153 Posts
A newbie question here: How do I stop getting a stitch?

I get one soon after I start running and it stays with me for the entire run, sometimes on one side, sometimes both. I'm only running a couple of miles, still being a beginner, but its disheartening when I can feel the pain coming on only after a minute or so.

I don't usually get it if I wait until 1 hour after my tea/dinner . Unless I eat a Cornetto , Its kinda weird .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for your help guys.

I don't eat for quite a while before running. I work nights and eat around 2am and then nothing until after my run around 9am.

As far as warming up goes, I do a bit of stretching before I set off then walk for 5 mins before I start to run. I'll do some more stretching and see how it goes.

Are beginners more susceptible to stitch?

I'll make sure I do some abs and lower back exercises too.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I can suffer with stitches too for no reason either, I have tried to work our why I get them but it doesn't make sense, I think some people are more susceptible to them then others.

It is something you will have to persevere with, there are a couple of methods you can try, such punching out breaths, raising your arms in the air or slowing the pace, these may help they have done for me but not all the time.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer as I don't think there is one.

TT

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
If food not the problem then your pace probably is..slow down/go slower at the start of your run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts