Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi al new to running and this forum.
I would like to share with others my experience of starting running hang in there it might be a bit long winded!!

I stopped smoking about 4 months ago and wanted to do something to occupy my spare time and also help keep fit hopefully, decided on running because apart from a good pair of running shoes it is very inexpensive to start and you can even do it own your own.

Right, first week I went out I just ran till I couldn’t run any more then I walked a long way then run again till I was ready to collapse and believe me this was no fun, so decided to look on the internet to get advice and came across this forum, which I might add gives some very good advise, anyway I read about the 8 week plan i.e. run 1 minute walk 1 minute etc, well being the impatient type and confident that I could run further than a minute decided to create my own plan, bear with my I am getting there.

So I bought myself a cheap watch with a stopwatch on it and this is what I do, week 1 (that’s were I am) I walk to point on the local fields and there is a bin which I use for a marker I set my stop watch running and set off, week 1: I am using the following schedule:

1/2 hour run aprox 2 miles

First 15 mins
run 2 mins - walk 1 min

Second 15 mins
Run 2 mins - walk 2 mins

When I get back to my starting point I stop my watch, know I will get to my point about this type of schedule.

I plan to run three times a week Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. And here is what I achieved in regards to timing.

Mon - 27mins 13 sec.

We - 26 mins 32 secs.

I achieved 41 seconds quicker than my previous run and I didn’t try any harder, so that was a moral booster also I noticed that on the way round the run when it cam to walking I was further round the route than I was on the previous run which also made me feel good.

My point is although you will have to stick to the same route to get your timings (you could always do it in reverse) I found that I was getting visible results early in my running which gives me the incentive to carry on, next week my timings will be run 3 mins walk 1 (first 15) then run 3 walk 2. I have no intention of altering the length of my run until I can run the 2 miles without stopping then I will venture to longer distances

Once again apologies for the long post I hope to keep them shorter in the future.::embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Glad you have joined us Steve.

Stopping smoking was also my way into running a couple years ago.

Seems to me that your approach is pretty good,Just don`t push the distances up to quickly when you have achieved your 2 mile goal.

See if you can find a local 5k race in a couple of months time.It might give you somthing to focus on.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Steve,

Stopping smoking was my motivation to start running and I really wish I'd decided to start running years ago. sounds like you have a good solid plan to start with, like Dave says, take it easy whilst building up the mileage.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks All
I understand what you mean by taking it steady, I am actually going to Spain in 2 weeks time for a fortnight but I am still planning on running possibly early morning because of the heat (I hope) but I will not increase my distance for at least a month and by then I will hopefully be running the 2 mile without any walking and managing it easily, although the place we are staying in Spain is very hilly so ill let you know how I go.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve... sounds like you're doing just fine :d

Don't get *too* caught up on times, i mean by all means use them as motivation, but equally don't lose hope if you don't always manage teh performance you were expecting ;)

Have a great holiday :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting there

Thanks Richard
I wont get to hung up on times its just until i reach the 2 miles without stopping it gives me the motivation.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great going Steve welcome to RF, you are doing tremendously well.

I too have stopped smoking as a result of running, previously I had tried but without much conviction it will be 2 years this September for me and I haven't been bothered by the evil weed at all.

Great post by the way.

TT :d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
last day of running for this week week

Hi all
just a quick update just done my last day of running for this week as per my earlier post this week is 2 mins running 1 min walkin then 2 mins run and 2mins walking, well pleased again 18 seconds quicker than the last time, though i must say i actualy felt tired for the first 5 mins and nearly gave up but pushed on and after 10 minutes i was OK having two rest days over the weekend will keep you posted next week if anybodys interested in my schedule send me a private message and i will reply with the info :rolleyes:

PS i know 18 seconds is not a lot but it gives me achivement and the push to go on

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well done on your training Steve B and for packing in smoking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting There

Thanks Tortoise,

Just started a new week of the schedule approx 2 mile run, my original schedule for this week was first 15 mins run for 3 mins and walk for 1 min, then the last half of the run would be run for 3 mins walk for 2, however set of and felt comfortable after the first 15 mins of run 3 walk 1 that i decide to stick to run 3 walk 1 and managed this for the two miles and did a time of 24 mins 37 and felt ok at the end so i am really pleased, out again wednesday so will see how i feel then:(

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts