Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to all of this malarky. I have done a bit of running for exercise and took part in a marathon relay twice. I am approaching the big 40 this year and have decided to put myself in for the full marathon.

Sooo, I need lots of advice. I feel a bit silly even contemplating the marathon but I am not unfit, just lazy and I have no idea where to begin!

Can you tell me what sort of training I should be starting off with?
Where can I get a training diary?
Will I not be able to drink for the next nine months!!!!?

Help!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've found loading from the back first with a steady hand will seize victory everytime.

As for running, there are plenty of training plans in t'internet for all levels of fitness. Your age is really pretty much irrelevant. Drinking shouldn't be a problem so long as it is moderate, some don't drink the week before a race. Drinking and running has been discussed at length on the forum.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome buckeroo.

Have a read of the marathon thread.

What marathon are you planning to do?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

I would suggest just going out for a run and getting in to a regular training routine is the first step.

Run how you feel, and as far as is comfortable...no pressure on speed or distance.

Once you have gotten used to running being part of your weekly routine then look at specific training schedules.

If you want to run a marathon it's adviseable that you incorporate some shorter distance races and a half marathon or two within the training.

There's loads more advice on here from experienced members... feel free to ask questions :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts