Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not sure if this is the right category, but just wondering- obviously you can't exercise for 24 hours after giving blood, but for how long should you lay off beforehand? If I run this morning, for example, will I be OK to give blood at about 6pm?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
shouldn't matter beforehand I think... as long as you don't make it a tempo run to the blood donor station, lol... you'd have blood spurting all over the place :p

I enquired myself about giving blood, as it's something I'd love to do, but wouldn't want it to interfere with any upcoming races. I found that for the liquid or blood plasma etc to be replenished happens incredibly quickly, (<24hrs?) but for the blood cell levels etc to return to normal can take up to several weeks :(

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
shouldn't matter beforehand I think... as long as you don't make it a tempo run to the blood donor station, lol... you'd have blood spurting all over the place :p

I enquired myself about giving blood, as it's something I'd love to do, but wouldn't want it to interfere with any upcoming races. I found that for the liquid or blood plasma etc to be replenished happens incredibly quickly, (<24hrs?) but for the blood cell levels etc to return to normal can take up to several weeks :(
It's a shame you need those little red ones for running!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Yep and the more of them you have the better the oxygen transfer the less your heart and lungs have to work for a given effort.

That is why some top cyclists have transfusion before a big race. Though it is banned in cycling.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I'm not sure about this - I was reading something about it the other day.... you should really get a haemaglobin count to check that you are not iron-deficient before you run again. If you have some liver, or red meat afterwards - that will help!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Squint - You're turning into Popeye again!

I have given lots and lots of blood (43 units and counting) and I have never had any ill effects, unless you count being really thirsty afterwards. I'm not convinced that isn't psychological though. If you are giving tonight make sure you are well hydrated as the loss of volume would make side effects more likely.
Regarding running, hey, I'm the wrong person to answer as I'm a newbie, but I would have thought there would be little effect if you are otherwise healthy and take things relatively easy. Marathons/ ultras or attempts at pbs would probably not be a good idea for a couple of weeks at least after donating.
But somebody needs the blood more than you do and (from personal experience) you feel a lot better afterwards than (I do) after a run.
Take a few friends with you and enjoy the free biscuits:d

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all,

Just back from my run- went a lot further than I had planned as I got a "bit" lost- oops!

I've given lots too- this will be about my 23rd time, I think- and they test your iron level before you can give- mine has always been good and high, so I should think I'll be OK as long as I leave it until Friday or Saturday before I go again.

Thanks all! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts