Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on having a lovely chinese takeaway today after I had been to a blood donation session but when I got home I didn't want anything to eat. Has anyone else had this problem after giving blood?? :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Loss of appetite isn't uncommon after giving blood. Its like whenever you get a major shock (physical, psychological etc) you lose your appetite or feel slightly sick. The physiology is basically the same; you've lost blood and your body is in slight shock and one response is a loss of appetite.

Personally, I take as much food as I can! I'm the real cause for why the National Blood Service is so expensive to run :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, giving blood does some weird things to you. I'm going on Tuesday to give my donation. No gym or alcohol afterwards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last time I gave blood, I went to the pub in the evening. Needless to say, I got very drunk very quickly.

I do believe there is a helpline which they're keen for you to call if you're not feeling too peachy though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I last gave blood in 1997 but remeber it well, I remember running straight to the student refectory afterwards and stuffing my face full of pizza and chips. I also remeber eating about four of those biccies they give you in the plastic packaging and drinking two cups of orange squash.

I tried to give blood about a month ago but they wouldn't allow me as they said I was considered underweight. I consider myself to be quite fit and healthy compared to alot of people but have no idea why they said no.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've just been in the last hour to give my donation. Me being my competitive self I always try to race the other donators that start donating the same time as me. I beat three today by about two minutes! So sad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7 minutes 37 seconds but I had a funny turn so ended up with my legs raised for 15 minutes. Then I was sent to drink loads of lemon juice and eat some biscuits.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was about 5 minutes but did pay the price later - dizzy for the rest of the evening. My advice - don't race when you give blood!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts