Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my sister will run her first marathon in April. She is struggling with her goal to run 9 min miles. I would like to help her by making a motivational compilation for her to listen to while she is running. In between the songs I am going to put in cheers… So my question is what would you as a runner like to be reminded while you are running?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
mr hoards - are there any special songs for her?

maybe greatest day by bverly knoght? there is also an exercise cd in tescos at the moment with recent dance tracks with quick beats which helps sped for me.

nice idea though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd think what she might appreciate is that if you jumped on a bike and kept her company during her long runs. Very handy for dishing out drinks etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice thought, but... How long will that compilation be? Marathon in April = say 10 long runs or 25 to 30 hours remaining. Will she really want to listen to the same 1 or 2 hour compilation 15 or 20 times?

Agree with TC - get on a bike and run alongside her.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If she's struggling with her goal to run 9 minute miles then maybe she should slow down - seriously. Most people would say you should run slower in training on long runs anyway.

I'd agree with TC though - keeping her company on a bike, or at least meeting her a few times with drinks and snacks on long runs would probably be just as welcome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I suppose it depends what she wants. Some people like to break long races down into bits and imagine they are doing 4x 10k and a bit. When I did my first marathon and Mr D announced at 16 miles that 'we only had the equivalent of the Smokies 10 mile race to run' I could have punched him - it seemed so far.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If it's her first marathon her goal should simply be to finish... if she sets strict time contraints on her pace then she risks disappointment.

It's very different training for a marathon to actually running it... the last 6 miles can be hard.

She needs to give herself a break... follow a schedule by all means, make sure she gets the right nutrition and also rest enough... but don't go for a particular time on the first one...it'll be a PB whatever she does.

The music is a good idea too...helps with the boredom on the long runs :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts