Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I ran it last year and am doing it do this again this year.

I prefer the half marathon course to the 10km course, the seems to be more views to take in.

The half marathon course takes in part of the same route as the Men's Health 10km, so if your mate has run that race, he will already have a bit of course knowledge.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'll be doing the 10K (for the 3rd time) - would like to do the half at some point, but the 10k remains unfinished business as I want to get under 45 for it.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He hasnt run the course before so any advice would be great Grant, is it hilly?

I hope to run it next year along with the other 3 for the East Coast Challange.

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
The section going through Pollock Park is the only bit that could be considered uphill - nothing particualrly steep, but enough to be a bit trickier.

Apart from that, the course is pretty flat.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I did it a couple of years ago - a good course for a fast time. Well organised as well.
It is well organised. The only thing working against the flat course is the sheer volume of people that can slow you down - especially for the first 2-3km of the race. The Kingston Bridge on ramp is particularly crowded and the Bridge itself is quite short on space because they only have one lane shut off for runners. The other lanes are still open for cars!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
well i got my race pack today. I dont think this will be a PB race. The sheer amount of people entering i think could cause problems for a good run.

·
Registered
516 Posts
well i got my race pack today. I dont think this will be a PB race. The sheer amount of people entering i think could cause problems for a good run.
Good luck with it.

Even if you don't get a PB (I have heard from friends it is very congested) I'm sure you'll enjoy the race. The Glaswegian spectators with their own brand of "encouragement" along the route will make for a great entertainment. :d

·
Registered
664 Posts
They have been known to get fruity alright.
Not sure about the half, but I've done the 10k last 2 years (and again this year), if you get as near the front as you can at the start the congestion isn't too bad. just don't pay a late toliet visit or wait for the official summons, you'll notice the experienced runners making their way towards the start while you can still get a good position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts