Runners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So heel-striking is actually a bad thing? I had a gait analysis done on a treadmill and I was running with my toe landing first - I noted at the time that I don't usually run like that, my heel normally hits the ground first. The chap doing the analysis said that it's normal to see that difference in people who aren't used to running on a treadmill. So is the correct form to strike with the midfoot or toe before the heel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came across one the other day I had not hear of. Being "chicked" this means when a male is beaten by a girl! It's more running slang but thought it was quite funny.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ha ha, I like that one, runtobehappy. :d I need to start 'chicking' some people in my race next week, lol.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I came across one the other day I had not hear of. Being "chicked" this means when a male is beaten by a girl! It's more running slang but thought it was quite funny.
Being " CHICKED " is great , nothing better than being beaten by a woman !!;););)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Split Times
Denotes the time it takes to run a portion of a total run (often measured at mile/KM markers).
I don't get it. What is it and why is it important to know?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't get it. What is it and why is it important to know?
Marta, in parkrun terms the 5km run can be "split" into 5 x 1km "splits". You can run even splits e.g. 5 x 5.00 minute splits = 25 minute total time etc. Many on this forum will talk about their runs in terms of 1km or 1 mile splits and this helps to understand race strategy e.g. start slow and gradually run faster at the end ("negative splits"), run evenly throughout or start fast and finish slower. Once you have data on your splits you can analyse where you can improve or where you lost time. Hope that answers your question.

Neil

·
Registered
836 Posts
That makes sense now, thank you Neil!
I think all these strategies and splits are too far for me yet, I need to build up an aerobic base first. Although I am pleasantly surprised I can run 10 k now and not die on the road. Only a year ago I couldn't run even 1 k without having to stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tempo run is typicaly a 20min or 3miles run but can also go upto 45mins or 6miles at a pace you could race at for a hour in a race situation which for some people could be 10k pace and for others it may be even half marathon pace,

The advantage of intervals e.g 5x1k at 3-5kpace is to work on v02max (oh look something you can add the the list), your body takes about 2 mins to reach v02max or maximum oxygen consumption and are run a about 5k pace or just a bit faster, a typical interval maybe 5x1k or 5x4mins with 3-4min rest/easy, as i said before it takes about 2 mins for the body to reach maximum oxygen consumption (v02max) so for 20mins hard running you will spend 10mins at vo2max, you are guaranteed 10mins at v02max even if you are fully recoverd before the next interval.
The purpose / advantage or gain of running intervals, depends upon the length, pace and rest period. Example, 10 x [email protected] pace 1 min static rest. 10 x 1000m @ 5km pace, jog back to start, at a set pace. The good thing about intervals, is they are so versatile. Running Coach Online - Marathon Running Coach

21 - 28 of 28 Posts