Runners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So heel-striking is actually a bad thing? I had a gait analysis done on a treadmill and I was running with my toe landing first - I noted at the time that I don't usually run like that, my heel normally hits the ground first. The chap doing the analysis said that it's normal to see that difference in people who aren't used to running on a treadmill. So is the correct form to strike with the midfoot or toe before the heel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came across one the other day I had not hear of. Being "chicked" this means when a male is beaten by a girl! It's more running slang but thought it was quite funny.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ha ha, I like that one, runtobehappy. :d I need to start 'chicking' some people in my race next week, lol.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I came across one the other day I had not hear of. Being "chicked" this means when a male is beaten by a girl! It's more running slang but thought it was quite funny.
Being " CHICKED " is great , nothing better than being beaten by a woman !!;););)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Split Times
Denotes the time it takes to run a portion of a total run (often measured at mile/KM markers).
I don't get it. What is it and why is it important to know?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't get it. What is it and why is it important to know?
Marta, in parkrun terms the 5km run can be "split" into 5 x 1km "splits". You can run even splits e.g. 5 x 5.00 minute splits = 25 minute total time etc. Many on this forum will talk about their runs in terms of 1km or 1 mile splits and this helps to understand race strategy e.g. start slow and gradually run faster at the end ("negative splits"), run evenly throughout or start fast and finish slower. Once you have data on your splits you can analyse where you can improve or where you lost time. Hope that answers your question.

Neil

·
Registered
836 Posts
That makes sense now, thank you Neil!
I think all these strategies and splits are too far for me yet, I need to build up an aerobic base first. Although I am pleasantly surprised I can run 10 k now and not die on the road. Only a year ago I couldn't run even 1 k without having to stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tempo run is typicaly a 20min or 3miles run but can also go upto 45mins or 6miles at a pace you could race at for a hour in a race situation which for some people could be 10k pace and for others it may be even half marathon pace,

The advantage of intervals e.g 5x1k at 3-5kpace is to work on v02max (oh look something you can add the the list), your body takes about 2 mins to reach v02max or maximum oxygen consumption and are run a about 5k pace or just a bit faster, a typical interval maybe 5x1k or 5x4mins with 3-4min rest/easy, as i said before it takes about 2 mins for the body to reach maximum oxygen consumption (v02max) so for 20mins hard running you will spend 10mins at vo2max, you are guaranteed 10mins at v02max even if you are fully recoverd before the next interval.
The purpose / advantage or gain of running intervals, depends upon the length, pace and rest period. Example, 10 x [email protected] pace 1 min static rest. 10 x 1000m @ 5km pace, jog back to start, at a set pace. The good thing about intervals, is they are so versatile. Running Coach Online - Marathon Running Coach

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to Hrun, Badz, beasty1711, Sweaty Betty, MatthewBrown1990, madd0ct0r for contributing.

Achilles Tendonitis
The Achilles tendon attaches the calf muscles to the back of the ankle to facilitate movement at the ankle joint. It is commonly caused by a sudden increase in training, a change in training- like hill running, poor footwear or poor running gait.

Anaerobic Threshold Running
Anaerobic or Lactate Threshold running is normally the domain of middle and long distance runners. Here the session is meant to be run as fast as possible, whilst remaining entirely aerobic (in other words, the body is replenished with as much oxygen as is being used during the activity - at no stage will the body go into oxygen debt).
These runs will be important for any distance runner for building fitness and should be hard work. You should run hard, but know that if you needed to produce a sprint finish you could.

Anaerobic Running - Normally only during sprints, you are running faster then your body can provide oxygen to muscles, leading to glucose being turned into ATP and lactic acid (the source of cramps). After the run you have to pay off the 'oxygen debt' to finish converting the ATP and lactic acid into carbon dioxide and water.

Core Stability
1. Core stability training specifically targets the smaller and deeper lumbar spine and trunk muscles – the ‘core muscles’ of your body. Core stability training aims to recruit effectively the trunk musculature and to learn to control the position of the lumbar spine during dynamic movement, to keep you strong, in neutral, correct posture, and to prevent injury.
2. Generally viewed as the ability of the torso region of the body to endure the forces developed by the limbs while running. Hence, good core stability may lead to a more efficient and relaxed running action.

Cross-Training
Activities such as swimming and cycling that are used to increase conditioning and injury prevention for running or as a means of adding variety to a workout schedule.

Electrolytes
Minerals such as sodium, chloride and potassium essential for normal bodily functions. These minerals are lost when the body sweats and are replaced through food and fluids.

Endorphins
Chemicals in the brain which create a feeling of euphoria; said to be the cause of the "runner's high" often experienced shortly after a run.

Fartlek
Swedish word for ‘speed play’; workout includes varied pace running with the emphasis on changing pace when it feels right rather than to some predetermined plan. Involves faster running mixed with slower running; adds variety to training and can be performed in any setting.

Gait Analysis
Many athletes develop chronic or recurrent injuries due to incorrect technique or poor biomechanics.
Gait analysis incorporates the use of a video camera and a treadmill to analyse your walking and running to identify inefficiencies in movement. An accurate diagnosis can be found by very carefully observing your movements at a slower speed on camera.

Heel Striking
This acts as a braking action to your running as you will be striking in front of your centre of gravity. You then have to work on getting your weight back over this rather than using the "claw back" momentum of your foot to propel you forwards. It also increased the stress on joints as you will tend to land heavily as you do this.

Hill Work / Hills
Workouts where a runner runs up a hill fast and jogs down then runs up again; helps develop leg power and aerobic capacity.

ITBS - Illiotibial Band Syndrome
ITBS is one of the leading causes of lateral knee pain in runners caused by irritation/inflammatrion of the Illiotibial Band. The iliotibial band is crucial to stabilizing the knee during running and can be found on the outside of the thigh, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee.

Interval Training
Type of workout where a set distance is run repeatedly with a recovery jog between; for example 6 times 800m with 200m recovery jog.

Lactic Acid Tolerance
Lactic acid is formed when an athlete exercises, if he or she is doing so at a level where more oxygen is being used than can be replenished to their system. As this builds up, it gradually forces the body to slow down - it is the body's way of telling you that you can’t carry on as you are.
What lactic acid tolerance training will do for you is make your body more efficient at reprocessing the waste products of exercise, transporting oxygen to your blood and allowing you to run nearer to maximal speed for a longer period of time.

Lactate threshold
The running intensity where lactic acid begins to more rapidly accumulate in the blood. Also called anaerobic threshold; lactate threshold speed is your 10K race pace plus 5-20 seconds or a heart rate zone between 85-89% of maximum.

LSR
Long Slow Run. The run that is used to build mileage into your legs, usually run at a slower than race pace. Sometimes called a SLR (Slow Long Run)

Marathon pace
would be better thought of as 'race pace' and will change dependant on the distance
marathon pace being the pace you could race a marathon, 10K pace being the pace you could race a 10K etc. etc.

Over Pronator
Overprontators tend to have lower/flatter arches and would roll inwards when running. To compensate for this an over pronator would wear a support shoe which has additional medial (inside) support to correct the overprontation and stabalise the foot. Most runners over pronate and it is a common trait.

Paarlauf
Literally it means “pair run”, but is basically a relay which can be done with two or more people. The relay comprises of one of the team running whilst the others rest, before they get to go again. It is often used as a team version of a Fartlek session.

PB - Personal Best
fastest time a runner has run for a given distance.

PR - Personal Record
American term for PB.

Pyramid Running Session
These are commonly used by runners, as a useful tool, since they allow a range of distances (and potentially speeds) to be run in a single session. Here we use the term to cover any session where there is a step up or down in distance between runs, for example -
400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400
Physiologically, the levels of lactate in the system can be experimented with in these sessions, to find strengths and weaknesses in an athlete - for example one athlete may cope well with the long reps, but struggle one the short ones and another be the total opposite.

Recovery Run
Slow to moderate running to recover from hard workouts or races and/or maintain aerobic conditioning.

Runners Knee
Runners Knee describes pain in the shin. It is a common problems in runners and jumping athletes. Runners Knee is a general term that can describe one of three syndromes.

1. Stress fracture
2. Tenoperiostitis
3. Compartment syndrome

1. Stress Fracture
A stress fracture results from overloading the bone by continuous muscle contraction, for example, running. This may affect either the tibia or fibula (fig 2), which are the two main bones of the lower leg, with the tibia being the larger of the two. However, due to the fact that the role of the tibia is load bearing, it is the most common site of the two. Pain is usually experienced on the lower two thirds of the tibia.

2. Tenoperiostitis
Tenoperiostitis is inflammation of the periosteum, which is the point where the muscles attach to the bone. This commonly occurs to the muscles that attach to the inside of the tibia.

3. Compartment syndrome
There are four main compartments of the lower leg and these are all surrounded by a thick fibrous membrane that covers, supports and separates the muscles, termed 'inelastic fascia'.
Within these compartments are the muscles and when these muscles are overloaded and the muscles become too big, there is a build up of compartment pressure, which causes pain and swelling. Compartment syndrome may be an acute condition, usually resulting from a direct impact that causes bleeding or a chronic condition, resulting from overuse.

Speedwork
Short, fast intervals with recovery jogs between; increases your leg turnover and maximizes your stamina and race confidence.

Split Times
Denotes the time it takes to run a portion of a total run (often measured at mile/KM markers).

Sports Massage
Deep tissue sports massage is concerned with the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body and has many benefits.

Sub, e.g. 1:30
simply means 'under' and usually refers to a time target for a given distance. Example
'looking to do a sub 1:30 half' means I want to complete a half-marathon in less than 1 hour 30 minutes.

Tapering
Reducing your mileage several days to three weeks before an important race to ensure peak performance on race day.

Technical/Wicking Clothing
The ability of a fiber to move moisture from your skin to the surface of the fabric so that it can evaporate and keep you more comfortable.

Tempo Run
Type of workout to improve the lactate threshold; usually consists of 15-30 minutes of running at the lactate threshold speed

Under Pronator (Supinator)
Supination (or under pronating) is when the foot rolls outwards. It is typically found in runners with very high arches.

XC - Cross country
Type of race, usually multiple laps around fields.

If you think you can improve any of these explanations, or have any to add, feel free to reply.
Altitude Training
Spending time completing training in areas that are 2500 feet above sea level. Many elite and competitive runners train at altitude in attempts to improve their cardiovascular system and give them an advantage during road races.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts