Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article in Runners World, which recommends the above product, does anyone know where I can purchase Glycerol.

Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what is used for, but apparently it something that runners should take along with a couple of other supplements in order to maintain joints, health etc.

Regards
runningkaty

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Glycerol is actually a sweetner-not sugar, that provides almost half the calories that a normal carbohydrate produces.

On nutrition labels, you'll often see it referred to in the carbohydrate table, as 'of which polyols.'

The main benefit of glycerol is that it doesn't affect insulin or blood sugar levels. Apparently even very large amounts of glycerol have very little impact on blood sugar or insulin levels.

Large amounts of glycerol can cause stomach upset, It's recommended that you don't exceed 30g a day.

You might find it more beneficial to consume it in the form of a meal replacement or high protein bar.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
there is no such thing as glycerol deficiency... there is no reason for glycerol suppliments... you get all the glycerol you ever need for your fat stores... as glycerol makes up the backbone of a fat molecule (triglyceride)... taking an artifical sweetner doesn't improve running... please do not believe everything you read on the internet...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The article is in the August 2008 edition of Runners World on page 64, Nutritionist 'Get your three Gs'

Hope you enjoy reading, I will be interested to receive your views on the article.

Regards
RunningKaty

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The article is in the August 2008 edition of Runners World on page 64, Nutritionist 'Get your three Gs'

Hope you enjoy reading, I will be interested to receive your views on the article.

Regards
RunningKaty

I've read it too RK.

Personally though, I avoid any artificial sweetners where possible. I've read bad things about them( some of it on the internet), and don't feel the need for them. That said everyone has their own opinion on them I'm sure.

It is difficult avoiding taking in something artificial somewhere in your diet but I wouldn't do it intentionally. I am one of those that considers that there is enough of what we need in a balanced diet.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The argument it gives Revenged, is that "Taking 1.5g per kilo of body weight before a race can help you retain an extra 600ml of fluid, which helps you regulate temperature, increase energy and avoid heat stroke"

Perhaps could be some use on very long runs but I can't see it being of any more benefit than just making sure you take on sufficient fluids whilst running? Just my thoughts though.

I believe there was some discussion a while back about aspartme (or however it's spelt) aiding running endurance/performance - something to do with it helping the body take on energy more efficiently? I remember Michaela (Almost_No_Specifics) bringing up a scientific report or something on the matter - most of it was pure gobble-de-gook to me! :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it reminds me of all the gym types with their protein shakes, creatine, glucosamine, vitamins...etc.

people are looking for quick fixes on how to improve...

no offence but i think that if people are dumb enough to take all these things then it's their own problem...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It is there own problem but, in fairness there is a lot to understand about what,why and when we should consume certain products and if one seemingly reliable source is going to promote a certain product then some would not consider to doubt that opinion.

For every positive opinion on a product there will be a negative one too.

There is a lot of contradiction in the field of nutrition.

I think all you can do as an individual is make an informed decision based on the information that you have in front of you.

You can research to your hearts content but there comes a point where you have to make a decision.

There will always be one expert disagreeing or one laboratory test contradicting another.

I believe that anything artificial is probably best avoided.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Something from another forum I am part of which isn't running secific, hence the creatine. The info is still there though

I have not bothered to read up on this or try it myself

HYPER-HYDRATING EFFECT OF CREATINE AND GLYCEROL
Maintaining adequate hydration is critical to perform optimally and adapt to training. Exercising in hot and/or humid conditions puts athletes at risk of becoming dehydrated, which can impair performance even with small water losses. There may be additional benefits to hyper-hydrating, which may provide for a more anabolic environment for muscle cells. Beside water ingestion, there are few dietary strategies to augment water retention. Creatine accumulates in muscle cells and thereby causes retention of water inside cells. Glycerol also has been shown to augment water retention primarily in the plasma. The combination of creatine and glycerol therefore has the potential to hyper-hydrate more than each supplement alone. A recent study compared the individual and combined effects of creatine and glycerol supplementation on total body water. Creatine supplementation (22.8 g/day) and glycerol (1 g per kilogram body weight) each increased total body water, but the combination resulted in the greatest hyper-hydrating effect. The effects of this water-loading combination on long-term adaptations to training was not addressed, but would be interesting to examine in future studies.

Easton C, Turner S, Pitsiladis YP. Effects of Combined Creatine and Glycerol Supplementation on Physiological Responses During Exercise in the Heat: 1117: 9:00 AM - 9:15 AM. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5 Suppl):S125.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts