Runners Forum banner

Is GNR worth 150 pounds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK

So I've got my ballot palce (thanks to the Times early one) and including race entry, accomodation and fuel I think it will cost somewhere near to 150 pounds to run GNR. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hollywood said:
OK

So I've got my ballot palce (thanks to the Times early one) and including race entry, accomodation and fuel I think it will cost somewhere near to 150 pounds to run GNR. Is it worth it?
Never done it before, however, I got a ballot place last year but didn't take it up because of the prohibitive cost.

I did Robin Hood half 2 weeks before in Nottingham instead and that was good. On the day of GNR I did East retford Half, a small rural race which I ran most of the way with my gf and treated as a long tempo run!

Worth taking into account that most hotels try to get you to book for 3 nights too (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) when really only one night is normally needed.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I ran it in 2004, and don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did...the atmosphere was great. However, for me it was a once only race...just for the experience. I've ran much much nicer courses and if it wasn't for the distraction of so many other runners and also the support I think this course would be pretty boring.

Also, it's not a PB race... far too many people. The only way you can (almost) guarantee a PB is if you start way ahead of your allotted start point.

The year after I ran it they started this ballot thing and hiked the price right up, so I'm glad I ran it when I did, coz I'd never pay those prices for a half marathon round Newcastle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They charge stupid sums of money because they can! Its a business, they're not a charity. They're not covering their costs. They're out to make a profit and its the mugs that will pay that stupid fee to run 13.1 miles!

·
Registered
220 Posts
GNR is the most marvellousest race in the world ever. I would even pay more money if they had a luxury air conditioned coach to take you from the start to the finish so I don't have to mess up my hair running. Only issue is it's full of northerners, they should evacuate the city the day before and fill it with extras.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the good news is that my other half now also has a place through the main ballot for this year's race....

So it looks like we're both going to run it - I'll post back in October about whether or not it was worth the money!

·
Registered
105 Posts
the GNR has to be the most overrated event in athletics after the tough guy. crap course apart from the first and last miles, crap scenery ditto. try running around the ring road of any mayor city for a taste of the magic. overpriced, you are paying for the 5 star hotels for the elite, and brendan "i'm so fat you'd think i'd be ashamed as an ex-olympic athlete" foster makes a few bob as well.

did it in 94 for the one and only time.

mind you, have you seen the price of the Great Manchester 10k or whatever it is called. now that is extortion. i was going to run it as it is my home town but not at that cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gnr

Done this race 3 times 2002,2003,2004 but never AGAIN thats for sure

£30 to join the great north running club 3 year membership plus £34 race entry they can forget that, sure plenty of people will do it still though regardless of cost.

This totally ruined a great weekend in Newcastle with fellow club runners as we travelled up on the sat morning race sunday round the city for a few beers post race sunday evening then home monday morning now we have found other half marathons to do instead, GNR is a total rip off.

Two Towels.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hollywood said:
Well the good news is that my other half now also has a place through the main ballot for this year's race....

So it looks like we're both going to run it - I'll post back in October about whether or not it was worth the money!
So was it worth the dosh then?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve said:
So was it worth the dosh then?
To do it once... yes! And the new organisation at the start this year was good which helped a lot.

However, the round trip time (it was a slow 8 hour drive home!) and the cost of hotels, petrol and race entry means I won't be doing this every year... I think I'm more likely to sign up to the more local big Autumn events like the Windsor Half and maybe the GSR.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The Windsor 1/2m is good...or was when I did it a few years back. You need to get there early if you drive...the car park fills quickly.

Just what you need an 8 hour drive home after a 13.1 m run!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Trinity said:
... I've ran much much nicer courses and if it wasn't for the distraction of so many other runners and also the support I think this course would be pretty boring.

Also, it's not a PB race... far too many people. The only way you can (almost) guarantee a PB is if you start way ahead of your allotted start point....
No, not the nicest of routes...too many long straights. :(
I don't see why anyone would want to try to race in the midst of a huge fancy dress party in the first place! :p
I haven't done the race since '93; and I only live a couple of miles from part of the course.

But I must add that I did set my PB that year...so it can be done. :d

Now they are just asking a ridiculous amount of money to get a place in the event.
For the past couple of years we have headed out to the North of Newcastle on the day of the GNR to take part in a great little 5 miler, run on quiet country roads. Enter on the day. Less than a 'tenner' I only saw one car during the whole race this year! And no-one was in fancy dress. :d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts