Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As I'm training for the Run for all in Leeds next week, I'm already thinking of new challenges I'd like to commit to. Of course, the GNR popped into my mind, and it will certainly be very tough for a runner of my standard, but I really want to push myself towards it =- I know I can do it.

Problem is; ballot placing is done, most of the charities I've looked at are full - so:

Does anyone know how I can do the run in any capacity?

all the best

·
Registered
136 Posts
The way things are going for me I'll be offering you my place.
I'm getting absolutely nowhere with my training as just seem to have injury after injury and I'm just losing all hope of being able to do the GNR:(
There are probaly quite a few people who will have to pull out but I don't know how you go about getting a place that becomes reavailable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injuries Yorkie, never lose hope though just give your body time and you will hopefully get there.

As for the GNR trick i looked into this but like you said ballot places are now closed. As far as i am aware some charities are still offering places and some have reserve list but alot of them require you to raise x amount of money. If you gain a place through ballot does that require you to raise certain amount?

I have decided to wait till next year for the GNR, i think this year for me would have been too much too soon !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks Vonzy.

I think if you get a place through ballot you just pay an entrance fee of £50-£60 (unsure of exact fee), I got my place after ballot through a charity and I have to pay £50 deposit and guarantee to raise £300.

Good luck getting in next year.:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
This is not really a tough race... unless you start at the front, because it's so crowded you can't really run very fast

It beats me why people want to run this, it's so over priced and when I ran it (before they brought in the ballot system) I wasn't that impressed.

I'd far sooner run a local(ish) club run half marathon event...much cheaper, much friendlier and much less crowded course

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
This is not really a tough race... unless you start at the front, because it's so crowded you can't really run very fast

It beats me why people want to run this, it's so over priced and when I ran it (before they brought in the ballot system) I wasn't that impressed.

I'd far sooner run a local(ish) club run half marathon event...much cheaper, much friendlier and much less crowded course
Couldn't agree more.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm having a mid-life crisis and it's one of the things I'd like to tell my kids I've done.

I'm not sure I'll ever be a "runner", but I'll always try get out whenever I can. I has such an immediate affect on my work life, my energy levels, my focus, my libido, my physique - I love it.

The Great North run is a biggie to all non-runners, and for that reason (I know it's the wrong reason for a lot of you) I want to tick it off.

Cheers all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts