Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear I didnt do very well tonight by my standards. I hadnt been out for 5 days and have been eating far too much this past week, I'm suffering for it now and couldnt even jog half a mile without stopping to walk this evening. :( I'm carrying around a fair bit of extra weight which I'm sure is hindering my progress and my shins are a little sore too. I need a proper kick up the arse to sort my diet out and get some motivation again, HELP!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
ive been reading a book called "the idiots guide to running" basically that says that dont worry about trying to change diet, stop smoking etc initially.. that will follow as you get better at running. the main thing is to get into a routine of getting out and doing the runs etc.
everyone has weeks when trainiing dosnt go to plan. the trick is not to beat yourself over it or try and make up for it in ur next few outings.. maybe even go back a week or so on your training plan... just stick with it and feel proude that you are actually doing something which is a lot more that a lot of people out there

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just go back to your run/walk plan.
I pretty much did tonight without planning to, I think thats a good idea for the next couple of weeks. I am determined to get that extra weight off before I hit the big 3-0

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I agree with Beasty.

If you start getting into a regular excercise rotuine - then even if you don't change your diet, you are going to lose weight (or at the very worst not put on as much weight as you would have).
And with the general good feeling you get from excercising successfully, then it is easier to maintain an exercise programme than denying yourself food against your own will.

As you get fitter - you will be able to excercise more, little bit by little bit if necessary. Once you are at a stage you are excercising regularly - you may find that is enough for your goals, if not you may then want to look at what you are eating - but what you may find is that you start eating healthier anyway.

For example before I started cycling to and from work - we have a fantastic choice of unhealthy food, and I'd have pizza's, pie & chips, chinese/indian buffets and even kebabs for lunch - but then found that stuff like that sat heavy in my stomach on the way home on the bike so now eat much healthier at work - not by going on a diet - but just as a result of circumstances related to my change in lifestyle.

So, don't beat yourself up over eating this or that - just concentrate on trying to get out and do some regular excercise, and if you manage that then the other stuff should follow.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I couldn't agree more, stick with it Lizzy we all go through peaks and troughs and just as you think you are making a breakthrough something will stop you in your tracks and as long as you have the will power to pick yourself back up again and get out there that is all you can expect from yourself.

:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree with all thats been said Lizzy.

We all go backwards somtimes,It`s part of what happens when we push our bodies.

Be proud of what you`ve achieved up to now,be patient,and you will soon be back where you were and setting yourself new goals.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I totally sympathise, I feel like I'm going backwards as well at the mo'.

Stick with it though Lizzy, I'm sure you'll be back to your best in no time at all.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep, stay positive. I'm stuck rather than going backwards this week, but half of it's developing the right mental attitude to problems/glitches/lack of progress as well as successes :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Thinking about it I'm stuck too at the mo...after so much slower running I'm unable to get my legs turning for a quick run ...patience required methinks!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway I'm back on track now, I did a mile on Monday, 2 on Wednesday then this afternoon I managed 2.25. It took me 28 minutes which is a damn sight slower than I usually run but I enjoyed it and could have continued had my thighs not started to protest. :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Well done that girl. You sound happier and the short long mix seems to suit.

Onwards and upwards. It wasn't long ago you got excited about doing one mile.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I said to myself I'll run 20 minutes and see how far I get, then I though nah make it 25 then I saw the end of the trailway in sight and thought sod it keep going!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts