Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would introduce myself, I'm Peter.

I gave up smoking Monday after 15 or so years, got some running shoes fitted, and started running instead (not very far for obvious reasons).

I've been doing 3 and bit miles everything evening so far and I was just wondering, are you meant to run everyday or have days off?

Must admit my legs ache a little but it's not too bad, but other than that I feel fine and I haven't missed the smoking yet.:d

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi :)

To start it's probably best to do every other day, but in the end it comes down to listening to your body to see how you feel.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done with the smoking Peter.(A few of us on here have been through that one.)

Sounds to me like your not doing much wrong.

You could try to have rest days and slowly increase your mileage on the days you do run.

Good luck with it all.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Dave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have a day off saturday then as I am playing golf anyway, or does that not count?

It's better than nothing I guess and I feel like having a quick run tonight before I go out.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Peter.

Take it steady...don't push too hard too soon...that's the way to pick up an injury.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Peter

Welcome to RF.

Great going with the non smoking and the running.

I am a fellow non-smoker too now, running was the catalyst to giving it up, quite a good catalyst really :d.

TT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just thought I would introduce myself, I'm Peter.

I gave up smoking Monday after 15 or so years, got some running shoes fitted, and started running instead (not very far for obvious reasons

I've been doing 3 and bit miles everything evening so far and I was just wondering, are you meant to run everyday or have days off?

Must admit my legs ache a little but it's not too bad, but other than that I feel fine and I haven't missed the smoking yet

Hi....:lol: welcome............I am new on here aswell. I am slowly getting back to running after a number of years :((

On week 6 of my comeback

I am up to weekly milage of 8.5. monday was 3.5miles, friday 5 miles with a visit to the lesiure centre for an hour of Body Pump on the middle day. I count Sunday as week end. :rolleyes:

I am on 2 days rest sat & sun.....:d mon starts week 7.. I intend to do 4.5 on mon, B.P. mid week.... then 6 on friday

week 8 will be mon 5.5....... B.P. mid week.... then 7 on friday

I have stuck to this gradual increase week by week and touch wood the ache and pains are few......

Good Luck

MRM ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Peter :) welcome

and have I met you yet MRM? Welcome to the forum anyway, and looks like you're doing pretty well with the comeback :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took peoples advice and had Friday and Saturday off.

Increased the mileage yesterday to 4.7 miles which felt ok though at mile 2/3 I thought I might die and then that passed and I felt fine.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Certainly i think the mind bit plays a HUGE part in running :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome by the way to new people whom i may of missed to say hello :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally agree, I just decided I was buggered if I was walking home and knew I wasn't, in reality, going to die or pass out so I had to get on with it.

Think the problem was I planned the route on mapmyrun.com without taking into account the hills involved which was a bit stupid.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, best thing you did was to give up the cigs, good for the health and your wallet. The running will improve with time, the good thing is you can eat more to compensate for the lack of nicotine and still not gain weight; bonus :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts