Runners Forum banner

Good Morning/Afternoon or indeed evening

901 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  twinkle toes 
#1 ·
Hello fellow runners, I have just started to train for my first half marathon which takes place in Birminghma on the 26th October 2008 and fingers crossed I have entered the London marathon 2009 (but not a confirmed place yet). Started my training last week and ran 3 miles Tuesday/Thursday with a 5 mile on Sunday. 5 mile time was 43 minutes which I did not think that was bad but as I am on my own I wouldn't really know. I must admit I am terrified by the thought of the London marathon but hey loads of people run it so why shouldn't I. I am aiming to run 3 days this week 5 mile each day and then look to add a mile each week for the next 5 weeks which will take me to running 10 miles 3 times the week before my half marathon. I think that sounds like a good plan. Any views/thoughts glad to hear em.

#2 ·
hiya and welcome to the forum..

are you following a plan/ schedual for your training?

i think most of them would suggest that you do two - three shorter runs (5-6 miles) in the week and then a longer run at the weekend rather than 3x 10miles

if you've not already seen them... the B'ham half webby has some plans to follow...
something like EDF Energy Birmingham Half Marathon 2008: Intermediate Schedule - Six Weeks

#5 · (Edited)
just until you have done your 1/2 could you not give up one training session and replace with a run, so you have 3 shorter runs in the week of 3 -4 miles each and 10 miles at the weekend and if you feel so inclined up the long run each week by 1 -2 miles til you get to about the 13 mile mark and then drop back to about 10 and then go back up again. By the time you get to the week leading to your race have some easy runs nothing to strenuous and make your last long run the weekend before about 8 - 10 miles.

Also try and do at least one faster run a week just to give your legs some new pace.

By the way how much running are you currently doing?

Hope this helps. :d

#6 ·
This is all great advice and it is really appreciated as I am really a complete novice to this running game.. I have done alot of treadmill running in the gym but it certainly is not the same as road running. I started training last week and completed 3 miles Tues/Thurs with a 5 mile on Sun.. I think judging by what people are saying i need to perhaps stay at the 3-4 mile mark Tues/Thurs and start to up the anty on a Sunday... Thanks for all the great advice

#7 ·
Not really following a training plan as such...just got some ideas in my head of what I should be doing and setting some goals for me to aim for... I could drop one of the gym sessions where I am excersing legs and abs and put in another run, but I really do enjoy my gym work...so much good advice I guess I need to just find something that works for me, set out the goals and look to keep challenging and improving week on week

#9 ·
One other thing the general rule of thumb is not to increase your mileage by more than 10% each week especially if you are new to this, so start your first long run off as maybe 6 - 8 miles if you are not used to doing distances then you may find it hard and don't want you to lose interest.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress :d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.