Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to the 21 guests here at 6 in the morning :)

Why not log in and say Hi. The more the merrier I say.

The only reason I am up is as I now run (more like wheeze) I am not drinking on a Friday and have got up to exercise. Scary huh.

What's your excuse?

Giles

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya

I am not drinking at all at the moment as I have 5 stone to lose. The drinking was more habitual as I got to the weekend I would drink because it was friday/Saturday

After 4 weeks I don't think about it now. And I feel loads better the next day :)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
It's not quite 6 am anymore but I'm sat in work surfing t'internet, reading a book and getting paid time and a half. No' wonder oil is $120 a barrel

Squint

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hrun said:
Hiya

I am not drinking at all at the moment as I have 5 stone to lose. The drinking was more habitual as I got to the weekend I would drink because it was friday/Saturday

After 4 weeks I don't think about it now. And I feel loads better the next day :)
Well done! It sounds like your "habitual" drinking was the same as mine... just the week-end thing. All I've managed to do is not drink for two consecutive Fridays :embarrassed: . It's pathetic, isn't it. But better than no effort at all, I suppose.:rolleyes: Trouble is, I like drinking too much to knock it on the head completely; and unless I think that my health is really suffering, I'll probably stick with my modest alcohol intake.;)
View attachment 424
(If you're not going to drink that; pass it over here! :d )

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Far from being teetotal I just don't really drink much at all and am quite happy to go out and not drink. The reaction this gets from some quarters is amazing I'm sure if I were a leper I'd get a better reception in some social circles. To some of my friends and colleauges to not drink must mean there is something wrong with me. Have we really got to point were drinking is not just accepted but expected.

Please don't get me wrong I do enjoy the occasional drink but never feel the need to get plastered. To some people the whole excersice seems to be drink as much and as quickly as possible to have a good night. How can a good night possibly be one were you can't remember where you were who you were with and who you were fighting with, waking up in either a hospital or a police cell. And if you manage to wake up in a hospital under police gaurd then you have had the best night out ever!

God I'm getting old
Squint

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I can't remember the last time I went out and got bladdered... probably the same time I last had a drink in public! lol.

I don't drink much nowadays as I find it so easy to put on weight if I have a regular dose of beer - though I do enjoy the occaisional ale! and I know what you mean Squint...

<at the bar with a friend who's ordering>
"What 'you having matey?"
"Erm... orange juice and soda please"
"Pardon?"
"Yeah... I'm not drinking"...
<weird cold stare as if I'm retarded or something>

Though I have to admit I get such a warm glowing feeling when they ask why and I tell them it's because I'm in training or have a race coming up - suddenly people start to think I'm some kinda pro athlete, and who am I to tell them I'm not ;) Close friends are used to it now though and don't question it anymore.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint said:
Far from being teetotal I just don't really drink much at all and am quite happy to go out and not drink. The reaction this gets from some quarters is amazing I'm sure if I were a leper I'd get a better reception in some social circles. To some of my friends and colleauges to not drink must mean there is something wrong with me. Have we really got to point were drinking is not just accepted but expected.

Please don't get me wrong I do enjoy the occasional drink but never feel the need to get plastered. To some people the whole excersice seems to be drink as much and as quickly as possible to have a good night. How can a good night possibly be one were you can't remember where you were who you were with and who you were fighting with, waking up in either a hospital or a police cell. And if you manage to wake up in a hospital under police gaurd then you have had the best night out ever!

God I'm getting old
Squint

Blimey, I could never manage to drink enough to end up in that state! :eek:

Is it that some people feel threatened by someone who is "different"? (I think I'm going to struggle to get this one across effectively).
Maybe people in a group feel threatened by the non-drinker... as if sobriety is in some way there to judge or control the drinking and subsequent loss of control experienced by the drinkers.... "If I'm going to get p***ed and fall about daft; I want everyone to do the same."
I'm going to have to give this some more thought if the idea is to develop into something clearer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
If thats what its like in the world of work imagine how it is as a student at uni! It's practically a law to drink! I've stopped going out and drinking about two weeks ago, and i probably won't have another till after my HM in around 6 weeks.

The amount of arguments i've had with people over whether it actually affects exercise etc has been too much.

I like drinking, but i don't see the point in the excessive drinking that i see all around me on a day to day basis.

J

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I get what you mean Ped, as in the morning there will always be one person that remembers who said what who done what and who done who. If everyone is drunk they can deny it effectivly but those denials fail to waiver the sober one.

I also get asked how I can enjoy myself sober, to me that says more about the person who needs to drink to enjoy themself than me who doesn't.

Squint

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Of course alcohol intake has an effect on performance it dehydrates you invariable stay up late eat crap food and don't get a good nights sleep as you are in a drink induced coma not a deep proper sleep.

Well the on performance it doesn't limit is the quick getaway in the monring when you see what they really look like!!!

Squint

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint said:
I've even been laughed at by some bar stewards who think I'm taking the proverbial.

Squint
There's probably an element of, "What kind of MAN are you if you don't drink?!"

You've got to be seen to be upholding the archetypical "macho" image of having the pint of beer in the hand and having a roll-about laugh with the lads. Otherwise...?

I don't know if it's an age related thing, and the older you get, the more accepted it becomes to please yourself as to what you do or don't drink. I think that for younger people it's almost seen as a "rite of passage". You've got to prove yourself as an adult by joining in with the drinking to excess, I suppose.
It all comes down to the people you associate with. All my friends are runners, and it's always been accepted that in any given group there will be someone who doesn't drink. It's just never even been questioned.

Hey slow down !! This was a reply to something about four posts back. Giz a chance, lads!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
In my younger day I did drink to excess but again it wasn't every weekend. I have never really seen the point on spending £100 to feeling ill.

Squint

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint said:
I get what you mean Ped, as in the morning there will always be one person that remembers who said what who done what and who done who. If everyone is drunk they can deny it effectivly but those denials fail to waiver the sober one.

Squint
Yeah. I think that's what I was trying to say! :embarrassed:
I may have got there eventually.
And I wasn't even drinking last night. :huh:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint said:
In my younger day I did drink to excess but again it wasn't every weekend. I have never really seen the point on spending £100 to feeling ill.

Squint
I did used to drink every week-end, but I have a built-in limit; a point beyond which I can rarely go. Fortunately, this point falls well before what you could call "excess". Once this stage is reached I physically cannot swallow any more drink.
Those were the days when you'd arrange tomorrow's training session during that night's drinking session. Then you'd wake up in the morning thinking:'what the hell did I agree to that for?!'
No one ever bottled the running though. Anyone could live down not having a drink... But miss a run?!!:eek:

(These days, most of my drinking is done at home, and my limit has now become the point at which I fall asleep and spill whatever it is I was drinking all over myself, the furniture, the carpet, or on a good night all three! :embarrassed: )

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint said:
Maybe there is too much blood in your alcohol stream!!

Squint

You may have a point there. That won't do...

(Am I catching up yet? There has always been another post added by the time I get my thoughts in a decent enough order to make them publishable?)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
When I was at school half the rugby team used to turn up either still drunk or hungover.

Oh those were the days

1 - 20 of 44 Posts