Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've got my first race on Sunday, I'm excited but bricking it aswell. Its a 6 mile run. Any advice would be good. I've had a bad back as most on this forum already know. Its still not right, but it is better. I'm gonna do the race come what may! I'm getting proper shoes tomorrow, but is there any other advice that would benefit me in my preperation?

Ed (newbyrunner)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Enjoy it!!

Don't start too close to the front...in fact start near the back. Begin slowly and if you can gradually pick up your pace....you'll soon begin to overtake people...it's better to do that than start off too quick, struggle your way round and have the masses overtake you.

May be a bit late to wear new shoes...they could rub. As you have been injured/have got bad back I'm guessing you'll take it easy anyway so perhaps in this case wearing your current shoes is the best policy.

It is your first race...a guaranteed pb!!

Let us all know how you get on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Your first ever race will never happen again.

So.....

Take it easy,and most of all..................Enjoy it !!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Just enjoy it and don't worry about your time at all, then you'll have a great race and will soon want to enter your next :d

If you're buying new shoes before the race try and wear them in before the event, either by running in them or at least wearing them around the house.

Best of luck!!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Ditto above and beware new shoes break them in as much as possible before you race in them .

Have a great race and enjoy!!!;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
have a good dump before you set off -nothing worse than running with a stomach ache. Just thought Id put some advice different advice to the norm. Dont drink 2 bottles of wine the night before like i did before the lady godiva half marathon -the first 3 miles were murder til it sweated out

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
clive said:
have a good dump before you set off -nothing worse than running with a stomach ache. Just thought Id put some advice different advice to the norm. Dont drink 2 bottles of wine the night before like i did before the lady godiva half marathon -the first 3 miles were murder til it sweated out
Nice !!:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts