Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old 310XT was really slow at locking onto satellites and even after doing so it would regularly show me starting at the wrong point (in someone's garden as opposed to outside my house).

My new 235 seems better, but today was a bit dodgy. It said I started about 30m down the road and my watch vibrated very late for the first half mile (auto lap 0.5 miles) compared to usual on this route. The path of my run looked out of sync on the map as well. I know they're never perfect, but it was out more than usual.

Does anyone else get that? I think it was because my watch was turned off all day and I turned it on and ran straight away after it said GPS ready. In reality need to wait a minute or so I guess.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I have a 310XT as well. It is terrible when it comes to the satellite fix. This morning the map trace suggested I was doing a warm-up jog in Windermere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 310XT as well. It is terrible when it comes to the satellite fix. This morning the map trace suggested I was doing a warm-up jog in Windermere.
That's bad. The worst for me was when it said I started in some random fields about half a mile a way. The GPS played catch up which equated to me setting a 400m PB of 44secs...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have the 235 and haven't any issues, even on small interval loops its pretty bang on which impresses me. Signal lock is quick too. The 610 I had prior took ages to lock onto a satellite, I'd have to cater an extra 5mins on my runs whilst I waited for a lock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to this site that rigorously reviews running watches (giving them a rating/score for different categories) - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Garmin_235 - the 235 is poor in terms of GPS accuracy. Kind of wish I read that before buying it!

Surprisingly, the 310XT (from 2009) is still one of the best for GPS accuracy to this date. Only the newer 910XT is as good. The other newer models come up as poor.

Obviously GPS accuracy isn't the only thing to look for in a watch, but I assumed that the 235 (from 2015) would be better than a watch from 2009.

I've noticed on my runs. The first half mile point and mile point of my main route always comes up a good 20secs later on this new watch. What used to be a 8min first mile on the old 310xt is now a late 8:20 first mile on the new 235. I think it improves after the first mile, but the start is always dodgy. And this is after acquiring the correct start location / satellite fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts