Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of entering the Great East Anglia Run (G.E.A.R) 10k at Kings Lynn on Sunday 6th May 2007. Seems like a good race as my first race.

Any other members doing the Great East Anglia Run? What time are you hoping for?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm doing it - to celebrate my 75th birthday that very day. Think I'm Number 346, red and white strip with RUNNINGFOX on the back of my vest. Hoping for sub 50 minutes, providing I don't get boxed in by the 1,700 or so other runners!
By all means, give it a go, it'll be a great day out for you. You'll really enjoy it, and be proud of yourself when you finish.
Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Runningfox said:
I'm doing it - to celebrate my 75th birthday that very day.
Congratulations! Best wishes to you.

I would be looking at sub 45minutes.......just.

I looked at the course earlier, from thier website, and can see the potential to be boxed in!

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Focus said:
I would be looking at sub 45minutes.......just. Regards,Dave
Good luck on your sub 45 minute target, but it wont be easy for your first 10K race over a course with lots of twists and turns. Admire your spirit. I assume you've been running regularly for a month or two?
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Runningfox said:
Good luck on your sub 45 minute target, but it wont be easy for your first 10K race over a course with lots of twists and turns. Admire your spirit. I assume you've been running regularly for a month or two?
Cheers!
RF - Quick,!! bet Focus a pint of Blackthorn for the winner :d

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been running for 8 months fairly regularly and the last 2 months I've clocked up about 25km per week, with my longest run 9km. The 9km takes me a little over 41mins at training pace. Providing I don't get boxed in too much, I expect to run a faster race pace, especially with the crowd and euphoria of it all.

I may spot you there..........Just got to enter now!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Focus said:
I've been running for 8 months fairly regularly and the last 2 months I've clocked up about 25km per week, with my longest run 9km. The 9km takes me a little over 41mins at training pace. Providing I don't get boxed in too much, I expect to run a faster race pace, especially with the crowd and euphoria of it all. I may spot you there..........Just got to enter now! Cheers, Dave
On-line entries close on April 27th, so get entered quick. Postal entries have already closed. So far there are almost 1700 entries so it's going to be a bit crowded.
Your training sounds OK to me though you'd probably feel more comfortable if you'd done the occasional longer run giving more time on your feet than your planned 10K race time. Anyhow, good luck with your target time. I'm sure you can do it.
Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Focus said:
I'm thinking of entering the Great East Anglia Run (G.E.A.R) 10k at Kings Lynn on Sunday 6th May 2007. Seems like a good race as my first race.
I've entered this, also as my first ever race...my target is to be anywhere but last :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
An admirable target GoSlow mine is usually just to finish.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Your first time over the finish line with a number on your chest GoSlow.

Unforgetable.

You will love it..............................Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My number arrived today actually! Very excited already. Will let you know how I get on. Went to a running club for first time on Monday night - did 8 x 500m reps. Pretty hard but really enjoyed it though felt very surreal running round a track out of choice when I spent all my school years trying to get out of PE. Funny how things turn out!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
GoSlow said:
My number arrived today actually! Very excited already. Will let you know how I get on. Went to a running club for first time on Monday night - did 8 x 500m reps. Pretty hard but really enjoyed it
Glad you're enjoying the training - it's wonderful when you discover a talent (anag. of latent) you never knew you had! I'm sure you'll run well in the GEAR.
It's months since I entered - and I haven't got my number yet. So you're in front of me already!
Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Disaster has struck! Literally 2 days after starting this thread I've developed a twinge in my right shin :mad: and I have taken the decision to rest up for now :(. I'm absolutely gutted as I thought my training had been going really well..........

The best of luck to all you lucky runners that are running :d,
Dave

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Focus said:
Disaster has struck! Literally 2 days after starting this thread I've developed a twinge in my right shin :mad: and I have taken the decision to rest up for now :(. I'm absolutely gutted as I thought my training had been going really well..........

The best of luck to all you lucky runners that are running :d,
Dave

Don`t worry too much about your shin.

You`ve done all your hard training,so having a rest this week isn`t going to do any great harm.

Take it easy this week and enjoy the race on Sunday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave said:
Don`t worry too much about your shin.

You`ve done all your hard training,so having a rest this week isn`t going to do any great harm.

Take it easy this week and enjoy the race on Sunday.
I didn't get to enter as the injury appeared the day before the closing date for on-line entries. I had to make the decision of Race / No-Race (which wasn't easy but the right result I think) and decided not to have the added pressure of being fit for the race, therefore didn't enter :(.

Hence,
The best of luck to all you lucky runners that are running
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Focus said:
Literally 2 days after starting this thread I've developed a twinge in my right shin :dave
Strewth!!! A TWINGE??? I've got a gaping great septic hole at the front of my left shin, the result of taking a nose-dive down the rocks on Ben Klibreck in the north of Scotland at Easter time. Been on anti-biotics for the last week, not to mention Voltarol morning and night to kill the pain and make training bearable. But it's still ALL SYSTEMS GO for King's Lynn on Sunday. Hope GoSlow is still fit and rarin' to go.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Runningfox said:
Strewth!!! A TWINGE??? I've got a gaping great septic hole at the front of my left shin, the result of taking a nose-dive down the rocks on Ben Klibreck in the north of Scotland at Easter time. Been on anti-biotics for the last week, not to mention Voltarol morning and night to kill the pain and make training bearable. But it's still ALL SYSTEMS GO for King's Lynn on Sunday. Hope GoSlow is still fit and rarin' to go.
Cheers!
Ewwwww hope it heals soon for the sake of your fellow runners.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Ewwwww hope it heals soon for the sake of your fellow runners.
It was still 'weeping' a bit this morning when I took the dressing off but the infection is clearing up well. Maybe a few days of Norfolk air prior to the race will help it on its way!
Why should it affect my fellow runners SE?
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts