Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am! I am! First time and first half marathon too. The training is going ok; I managed 9.5 miles without too much trauma on Saturday. I was lucky enough to go on a week's retreat with my kick boxing club last week, in France, where we spent our time doing morning 5ks, energetic pool games and kick boxing sessions in the evenings and it seems to have 'upped my game' physically and mentally so trying to keep that up for this week at least. I am a little worried that I haven't included any hill training into my sessions, although the area where I love is kind of up and down and I am really only concerned with just finishing without stopping and/or walking, at this stage. I have heard some scary stories about the Great North being very up hill - can anyone allay my fears? Also can anyone advise me on my course of action for next week - this week and last I have been doing a 5k in the morning and doing one or two kick boxing classes in the evening Mon-Thurs, resting Friday, long run Sat and then resting Sunday. How much exercise should I do next week; could I get away with some running and kick boxing up to Wednesday or should I lay off everything completely?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
My taper for the week before a 1/2m would be
Sunday 12m slow
Monday 5m easy or rest day
Tues 5m quick
Weds 6m steady or rest if I ran Monday
Thurs 3m strides
Fri/Sat PROPER REST ie sit down and watch TV...DON'T GO OUT SHOPPING!

For a first timer I'd suggest the Sun/Tues/Thurs sessions only and in your case skip the Kick boxing from Weds.

Just my view...others will differ no doubt!
So at the end of the day you need to decide what's best for you and your body/mind.

All the best anyway!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Steve. I decided to knock the kickboxing on the head (no pun intended) after Tuesday and I am already feeling restless after 2 rest days (also seem to be totally ravenous all the time but I guess that's a matter for the nutrition thread).

GOOD LUCK for Sunday everyone - I hear its going to be "heavy showers" all day so that should be fun. Hope everyone has a great day and raises lots of money for charity.
:p :d :p :d :p :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
All the best clarice uk. Enjoy the day...it won't be the fastest half you'll ever do because of the number of people running but it'll be fun. Great support if its dry...might not be so good if it's going to be really wet.

Let us know how you get on and how many celebs you meet on route, if any!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I read that there was 1 fatality this year at the GNR. Obviously extremely tragic for those concerned and I pass on my condolences.
The reality is that over, say a 3 hour period, there is always the chance that someone in a group of 40000 or so will unfortunately pass away so as runners we should do as much as we can to help ourselves by having regular health checks, by noting on the back of our race numbers details of any allergies etc we may have in case we need medical assistance and by pulling out of races if we are feeling unwell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hooray, I did it! I got a time of 2:41 officially but I am claiming back 4 minutes for jogging on the spot outside the portaloos waiting for my friend at mile 4!

It was great, I got chills of excitement and pride for everyone taking part, at various parts of the course. I loved going over the Tyne bridge and high-fiving all the kids along the route. I even enjoyed the downpour at mile 5. Started to get tired at 8 miles and miles 10 to 12 were pretty tough but the last mile down the front was great, just knowing I was nearly there (and only a few hours away from a glass of wine!)

Thanks to those of you who offered me advise - I may be back soon for some more tips with regards to the Marathon!!

:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Excellent...well done you!
Take a few days off now to recover and then you'll be back out with renewed energy! I bet next time you'll be closer to 2:30 if not quicker but even if you are not the fact that you are still out racing will keep you on a high.

Log your time in the 1/2m pb section.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good effort everyone! I agree, organization was much better and as a result I think everyone enjoyed it, serious club runners and fun runners alike. Seeing all the vests and outfits it struck me how many people doing that run must have some incredible stories to tell...inspiring. Once again a warm day though! Time was 1H37 - I was aiming for 1h35 so a bit disappointed but there's always the next one. Though I'm yet to get a pb at any distance this season! Getting frustrated! Though getting closer I guess! Come on everyone! What is the key to a PB?!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you'd be hard pushed to get a PB at any event such as this - there's just so many people that you have to dodge. When I did the London 10K in the Summer it was the same on that occasion. Most people were just running for fun and it just got frustrating - my own fault! It you want to attain a PB then I think you have to enter a "regular" half marathon.

I watched in on TV though and it did look like great fun. That last stretch of road down the seafront looked bad!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts