Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, im after some help, im doing the gnr in 6 weeks, due to 1 thing or another going on in my life, ive not managed to get as much training in as i would have hoped for by this stage, the last race i did was a 10k, (im doing another 10k end of september to help towards my training) so i realise i need lots more miles under my belt if i want to finish the gnr feeling comfortable,i dont really have a time in mind i want to do it in, id be happy just to finish, im currently only doing roughly 3 miles 5 times a week at the mo (not good i know!) so any help or advice on how to up my game would be greatly recieved. thankyou. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If it were me with little time left, rather than risking an injury by increasing the mileage to quickly,

I'd consider only doing 4 runs a week but make one of them 6 miles in the first week then concentarate on increasing this longer run by 10% of my overall weekly mileage,
every week until I reached the 13 miles,

which if I'm right, you'd do with about a week left.

keep the shorter 3 mile runs as they are but vary the type of session that you use them for, or perhaps merge two sessions to give you a six mile run, for the remaining weeks of your training. So in total you could have either 3 or 4 runs a week.

Ensure that you either rest or have a slow recovery run the day after your long run, and any hard session.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hot Foot, thanks very much for the advice, do you have any tips on breathing too? sounds daft i know but i really struggle with my breathing and sometimes forget to breathe even though im going at a fairly slow pace, so much in fact that ive started to doubt myself and think am i really made out to run?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
You'll get a few suggestions on the breathing I'm sure, I used to struggle getting a good breathing pattern going but it helped me to breathe in and out every two footstrikes.

so, it was all in the timing. LEFT- breathe in, RIGHT- breathe in then LEFT breathe out and RIGHT breathe out.

Some may use a breathe in for 3 and out for 2 method. After a while you'll discover what best suits you.

maybe keep to a comfortable pace with your running until your comfortable with your breathing.

Stick with it and you'll soon realise that you are cut out for running.:)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I use that method HF i find it works and you can hear the rhythm on the breathing in then the breathing out with the foot strikes thats why i dont wear music so i can hear myself, sounds weird i know but it helps me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe thats where im going wrong with my breathing as i always wear my ipod, to be honest though i find the music motivates me but then again maybe thats why my breathing is suffering as i cant "hear myself":rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm also training for the GNR and I train 3 times a week I usually follow one of Geoff Galloway's programs because I'm very injury prone (Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon Training, 10K Training.). I generally do about 3-4 miles on a Tuesday, 5 miles on a Thursday then my long run on a Sunday which I've gradually been increasing by a mile a week. Some people also prefer to judage their long runs by time on their feet i.e. if they know they are going to take about 2 hours to complete a half they will gradually increase the time of the their longs runs up to 2 hrs.

Strictly speaking you don't have to run up to 13 miles before you enter the race given that you are time constrianed I'd aim to build up to 11 miles, which should give you a good base. Don't worry about speed on your long runs just run at a nice steady pace that you can hold a conservation at. I generally breath in through my nose and out through my mouth I only have problems breathing when I go too fast.

I only trained up to 8 miles for my last half but I did have to walk/run the last 3 miles but thats because I made the usual mistake of starting off too fast - don't do that start slowly and save the fast pace for the lst three miles so you have a good strong finish.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think if you can get up to a point where you can comfortably run 10 miles you should be fine for a half marathon. Try to do a couple of 6 milers this week, 7 milers next week, and two weeks before run a couple of 10 milers, even if it's at a slow pace. In the final week run a couple of 6 or 8 milers. Then you will have no problem completing the 13.1 miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Steady Edwina, thanks for the link and the breathing tips, is the gnr your 1st 1/2 marathon? do you have a finish time in mind? i dont at the moment ill be glad just to finish considering my lack of training at the mo, def gonna up my training slowly but surely over the next few weeks, im so looking forward to doing the gnr, theres quite a few people i know who have done it already and they say its amazing, the crowd carry you round with all their cheers and support.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Think im gonna go running without my ipod next time just to see if that helps my breathing.:rolleyes:
Wear it Sharee but very very low so you can hear your breathing but hear the music to motivate you slightly too.

:p

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't bother with an ipod whilst I'm running I like to be able to hear traffic and whos coming up behind me.

No Boo this will be my fourth half but first time at GNR. I'm not particularly a fast runner and my PB is 2:24 and as GNR tendes to be quite congested I'm hoping for around 2:30 although in my head I'd like to do 2:15.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I used to run with my ipod on all the time, it was good when I was getting in to running and needing motivation but now I find running is my motivation and that the music puts me off my timings. I made this mistake on my last 1/2 marathon, I spent I think about 4 miles running with MoMorris and we were chatting and everything was good, then I put my music on and I couldnt hear my breathing and I got out of breath quite badly, I turned the music off but it was too late.

Now I run with no music and just hum songs in my head and use my breathing like the beat of the music :)

Everyone is different though so do what you find best and keep us all informed on how your run goes :)

O.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks to all for all friendly advice, i cant believe i didnt join this forum before, its just what i need to keep my motivation going, i cant wait to get out and hit the tarmac tomorrow. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts