Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with inspiration from run262's thread....what are your favourite quotes?

"Groups with guitars are on their way out!"

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I really like the Mint Sauce cartoons found in Mountain Biking UK, one of my favourite quotes from one of those was...

That feeling you feel when you feel nothing at all.

Some of Sun Tzu's words from The Art Of War strike a chord with me, such as

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance

and

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles

·
Registered
64 Posts
carl's quote reminds me of the classic Kenyan phrase.

"Train hard, win easy".

Dieter Hogan - "Believe me, nothing comes easy"

and finally Pre " To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift".

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

Emil Zatopek

·
Registered
813 Posts
'The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat'

'A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways as they're capable of understanding'

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
ermmm not running related 'Trust no one' and 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you'

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
.... Or:"... Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get".
(Homer Simpson)

"The English football team: brilliant on paper, s*1t on grass."
(Arthur Smith)

"Practically every game played internationally today was invented by the British; and when foreigners became good enough to match or even defeat the British, the British quickly invented a new game".
(Peter Ustinov)

"I took an American friend to watch her first ever game of cricket. She took one look at the umpires and said, 'What are the butchers for?'"
(Alan Henderson)

"I watched a cricket match for three hours waiting for it to start".
(Groucho Marx)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
"I was never afraid of losing as much as it terrified me into not taking a risk. I feel the essence of competition is taking risks, and I would rather have lost well than won badly".
Ron Clarke, Australia. Holder of 18 world records during the 60's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts