Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I had an occasional problem with grinding to a halt (GTAH) after 65minutes or so. I had blood tests and ECG - all "normal". The problem went away, only to reappear a couple of years ago on shorter runs, and it keeps coming back, on maybe 20% of my runs, ranging from 4.5 to 10 miles. Sometimes GTAH happens after only 20 minutes!
Recent blood test shows only potassium at upper end of normal range, and I've cut tomatoes from my diet to address this.
I don't feel tired as such, but I can't maintain a running gait. I have read that if the body has only fat as fuel, this is insufficient to meet the energy requirements of a run, and it needs to burn carbohydrate as well; this seems to fit my symptoms.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this, and if possible how to fix it?
I am 70 years old and I started running at 40. This past year my pace has dropped drastically, by about 6%. Any advice most welcome!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry, can't help you there Bob, though the clue could well be in your comment regarding fat and carbohydrate. Perhaps you should eat more of the latter because it's carbohydrate that produces glycogen to fuel the muscles. You wont get very far without it. Good luck with your running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your interest, Gordon: I hope I can still run when I'm your age!
May be you're right about diet - as I get older my metabolism may be less efficient and I might need to up my carbohydrate intake.
I'll post again to let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hi oldbob,

I may not be able to help, but it maybe worth just playing around with your diet to see what makes a difference. Play around with different types of carbs and see if anything makes a difference or helps at all?

I know we need carbs to run, but the minute I cut out eating ALL bread, my ability to keep running improved no end. I've started to have a large bowl of cereals or porridge for lunch now instead of a sandwich and my endurance is a lot better, plus I don't feel so bloated!

Interesting about the potassium, have you cut back on bananas too? they are very high in potassium.

Good luck to you young man, and do let us know how you get on and if you find something/change of diet that helps you.

K xx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Karen, interesting about bread; oddly enough I seldom have a problem on my Sunday (long) run, after a lot of bread at Saturday dinner!
I've given up the tomato-free diet due to v poor form.
Do runners usually have/need a higher than "normal" level of potassium? Wonder where I could find out?
Thanks for your contribution, especially the "young man" bit!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I eat a banana almost every day and according to my latest blood tests I do have a high level of potassium. Whether this helps with my running is debatable. However, I'm a big believer in the theory of carbs before running and protein directly after - along with plenty of fluid and maybe a good multivitamin and mineral tablet as we get older. Not that I always stick to that!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe fellow oldies, that as the leg muscle mass decreases each year with age, there is not as much glycogen available as previously? Maybe you need to ingest those gels during your longer runs?
I have not experienced running out of gas myself (aged 73) but am not running longer than 11 or 12 ks at present. Will start training for a half marathon soon so long running will be on the menu. Has anyone tried those "eat on the run" gels?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Gels do nothing for me, I found them a waste of money. Never used them in any of my marathons, managed OK with just water. Occasionally when I take off for long runs in the hills I'll pack a couple of mini Mars bars - but usually they're still in my bumbag when I get home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Gordon & Old Bob, I have never tried those Gels either. Maybe though if nothing else works they could be worth a try? I have "hit the wall" a time or two when running marathons some years ago. I guess that is what you are experiencing? Watch the men's marathon and the mens Tri-athalon at the Olympics and maybe you will be motivated enough to keep up trial and errror until you are able to rectify your challenge. Don't give up!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I eat a banana almost every day and according to my latest blood tests I do have a high level of potassium. Whether this helps with my running is debatable. However, I'm a big believer in the theory of carbs before running and protein directly after - along with plenty of fluid and maybe a good multivitamin and mineral tablet as we get older. Not that I always stick to that!
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here, but in my opinion this is absolutely spot on :tup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts