Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have my first running related injury :( And its not my knees or ankles or shins or any of the usual suspects but seems to be a pulled muscle or something in my groin.

Came on after 10k race on Sunday, possibly after jumping over a rock. Have a nagging ache in inner thigh/buttock/general downstairs region :embarrassed: with occasional shooting pain down inside of right leg and if I sit still for long, getting pins and needles down the leg as well.

Worse for standing on one leg, lifting heavy toddler out of car seat, and running :mad: Any ideas/help gratefully received. At present, just resentfully resting…

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I really don't think that there is too much you can do for a groin injury other that rest, hope it gets better soon.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You need to wait for the pain to subside first (use ice/frozen peas) then when it has try doing some very gentle stretches for the groin, glutes and hips.

Don't try running on it as you will only make it worse - my friend did this and it spread to hip and now she's been banned by physio from exercising for 4-6 weeks.

A suitable stretch is the seated groin stretch. Sit down on the floor with your knees bent outwards and the soles of your feet touching. Grasp your ankles and lean forwards from your hips with your back straight and you should feel a stretch down the inside of your thigh. If its too painful stop and ice any areas of pain. It should feel slightly uncomfortable but it shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like rest it is then. Will try your stretch SE once it stops hurting.

Spoke to nurse at surgery who said muscular strain, and probably also irritating a nerve, hence the pins and needles – nothing much to do except take ibuprofen and not try and do too much. Nothing to worry about unless it doesn’t get better in a couple of weeks. Two weeks sounds like ages but will have to try not to be impatient! Must be better to have two weeks off now than risk making it worse and having to have more time off. Next race isn’t until 23rd September and is a Cancer Research 10k so not super competitive or anything…so hope to be back on form for that but won’t matter too much if I'm not I guess.

Does the fact that I'm worried about having time off from running mean I have become addicted? :eek: Never, ever thought I would be addicted to exercise ha ha. If my PE teachers could see me now .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts