Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this may be the most ridiculous question I've ever asked, but can women get groin injuries???:embarrassed:
I assume that anyone can get a groin injury but I have never ever heard a woman say they have/had groin strain. :confused: Anyway I think I most certainly have one!
The past 2wk I've been using the treadmill at the gym to try make it easier on my shin splint or what has now been officially given the technical name of tibial fasciitis and I've been using orthotics the podiatrist gave me. Since starting running again i have been getting a pains down below which I put down to menstral pain even though I don't normally suffer, but today after 5mins it was pretty bad and I stupidly kept running hoping it would pass. When it came to getting off the treadmill I could barely walk and I struggled to drive my car home from the pain, it feels as though someone has ripped my 'lady bits' out (sorry for the vulgar images this may conjure up!!!:eek:

If anyone has any suggestions on how to treat this it would be much appreciated.

.......I don't think ice is an option!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a slight groin strain (which was aggravated 3 miles into my 14 mile jog today :mad: ) so I'll give you my personal experience...

Groin strain is basically a strain of the inner thigh right near the top (hence 'groin' strain). For my I have a strain in my left groin because of a weakness in my left knee and issues with my running style - I have no problem with my right groin. From my limited knowledge groin strains tend to be a strain in one inner thigh or the other, rarely both. From what you have described it doesn't sound like you've got a groin strain, but I could wrong.

Of course this is from a guy's point of view. Can't really comment on the female physiology :huh:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Fandango.
The pain I'm getting is on the right side only, I don't get any pain when sat down, can feel it slightly when just stood still, but as soon as I start to walk and lift my left foot so the weight is on my right that is when the real discomfort kicks in, climbing the stairs is almost unbearable I'm having to sort of crawl them so that my arms take the weight.
I've taken some ibuprofen and been trying to do some stretching but I don't really know what stretches to do for this area???:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yorkie said:
Thanks for the reply Fandango.
The pain I'm getting is on the right side only, I don't get any pain when sat down, can feel it slightly when just stood still, but as soon as I start to walk and lift my left foot so the weight is on my right that is when the real discomfort kicks in, climbing the stairs is almost unbearable I'm having to sort of crawl them so that my arms take the weight.
I've taken some ibuprofen and been trying to do some stretching but I don't really know what stretches to do for this area???:confused:
Hi Yorke,

I would consult your doctor on this it is possible for women to development Hernias which can cause real discomfort (talking from personal expierence) and be serious if not treated. Sure as you said it will be a strain but it would be worth getting checked!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yorkie a few weeks ago I had a slight groin strain. Like fandango says it was in the inner thigh right near the top. I put mine down to not doing any stretching before and after. I still forget now:rolleyes:

I could tell it was a groin strain though, and woudn't have confused it with menstrual pain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
junkie_ball said:
Hi Yorke,

I would consult your doctor on this it is possible for women to development Hernias which can cause real discomfort (talking from personal expierence) and be serious if not treated. Sure as you said it will be a strain but it would be worth getting checked!
Thanks junkie_ball, don't really know anything about hernias, is it where the stomach pushes through the stomach wall? can you develop them in places other than the stomach as what i feel is much lower down? and does the level of discomfort stay constant as mine seems to have eased a little this morning?

Thanks Dimple, the pain is right at the top of inner thigh and runs upwards, very rarely get menstral pain and at first it was only slight discomfort in the area rather than real pain so as it was around that time just passed it off as that............but now I know it's definitely not that as each time i've run it's worsened it.

I think it's maybe due to the orthotics I'm using.:(

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yorkie said:
Now this may be the most ridiculous question I've ever asked, but can women get groin injuries???:embarrassed:
I assume that anyone can get a groin injury but I have never ever heard a woman say they have/had groin strain. :confused: Anyway I think I most certainly have one!
The past 2wk I've been using the treadmill at the gym to try make it easier on my shin splint or what has now been officially given the technical name of tibial fasciitis and I've been using orthotics the podiatrist gave me. Since starting running again i have been getting a pains down below which I put down to menstral pain even though I don't normally suffer, but today after 5mins it was pretty bad and I stupidly kept running hoping it would pass. When it came to getting off the treadmill I could barely walk and I struggled to drive my car home from the pain, it feels as though someone has ripped my 'lady bits' out (sorry for the vulgar images this may conjure up!!!:eek:

If anyone has any suggestions on how to treat this it would be much appreciated.

.......I don't think ice is an option!!
Yes females can get groin strains netball ,basketballand football are just a few examples of sports where groin strains can occur.

There are three grades of groin strain< ranging from mild to severe which occurs in the adductor muscle and are usually caused from a pivoting action.

I have to agree with fandango it doesn't sound like a groin strain .
If it doesn't improve with rest and anti inflamatories get yourself off to the docs

Let us know how you get on !

Take it easy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yorkie said:
Thanks junkie_ball, don't really know anything about hernias, is it where the stomach pushes through the stomach wall? can you develop them in places other than the stomach as what i feel is much lower down? and does the level of discomfort stay constant as mine seems to have eased a little this morning?

Thanks Dimple, the pain is right at the top of inner thigh and runs upwards, very rarely get menstral pain and at first it was only slight discomfort in the area rather than real pain so as it was around that time just passed it off as that............but now I know it's definitely not that as each time i've run it's worsened it.

I think it's maybe due to the orthotics I'm using.:(
A hernia is where the part of the intestine pushes through a weakness in the muscles of the abdominal wall. It can sometime feel better after being lead down for a awhile as the intestines won't push through whilst lying down. Hernias can happen anywhere within the abdomine wall not just the stomach. Mine was right in the grion area. I'm no expert on hernias apart from my own personal expirence so i would suggest a google search will better inform you or better still a check up at the doctors if you think it may be a hernia.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I coincidently have an docs apptointment tomorrow afternoon for something unrelated so I will mention it then, although they don't like it when you go in with more than one problem so I'll have to hope the doc I see is a sympathetic one!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yorkie said:
Thanks for the info guys. I coincidently have an docs apptointment tomorrow afternoon for something unrelated so I will mention it then, although they don't like it when you go in with more than one problem so I'll have to hope the doc I see is a sympathetic one!

Yeah know what you mean on that one anyone would think they get paid extra every time you go in for a different problem like their on conmission or something! Best of luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
junkie_ball said:
Yeah know what you mean on that one anyone would think they get paid extra every time you go in for a different problem like their on conmission or something! Best of luck tomorrow!
I am not 100% sure but I don't think you are far off with that statement.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from docs and luckily he was really nice and didn't mind me going with more than one problem, he even asked at the end if there was anything else.......hopefully it wasn't sarcasm and I mistook it for compassion:huh:

Anyway he said although there is the possibility of it being a groin hernia, from what I had told him regarding my podiatrist saying I have a tilted pelvis and the use of the orthotics it is much more likely to be a groin strain of sorts. I say 'of sorts' because he said rather than it being tearing of the actual abductor muscles as in most groin strains, it is likely to be tearing of the abductor muscles away from the pelvis and that is why I feel it deep in the reproductive region:eek:
So basically rest, rest, rest and a little bit more rest all washed down with plenty of Ibuprofen, and if still no better in 7-10days then go back and check if it is a hernia. He gave me the option of checking to see if it was a hernia there and then but personally I need to psych myself up for an internal exams!:embarrassed:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yorkie said:
Just got back from docs and luckily he was really nice and didn't mind me going with more than one problem, he even asked at the end if there was anything else.......hopefully it wasn't sarcasm and I mistook it for compassion:huh:

Anyway he said although there is the possibility of it being a groin hernia, from what I had told him regarding my podiatrist saying I have a tilted pelvis and the use of the orthotics it is much more likely to be a groin strain of sorts. I say 'of sorts' because he said rather than it being tearing of the actual abductor muscles as in most groin strains, it is likely to be tearing of the abductor muscles away from the pelvis and that is why I feel it deep in the reproductive region:eek:
So basically rest, rest, rest and a little bit more rest all washed down with plenty of Ibuprofen, and if still no better in 7-10days then go back and check if it is a hernia. He gave me the option of checking to see if it was a hernia there and then but personally I need to psych myself up for an internal exams!:embarrassed:
So quite good news if thats the case, has it improved by resting thus far?

As for psyching yourself up for an internal exam .

I'm getting to the age were i ought to get my prostate checked really gonna have to get psyched up for that:embarrassed: :eek:

Hope you recover soon though:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well compared to Saturday it has improved. Saturday it was excruciating pain, but yesterday and today it just hurts like hell! :eek:
I don't have to crawl the stairs anymore but it's still not an easy feat, walking to the doctors from car took a lot longer than I expected and that was only a few meters!! and I have lift my right leg with my hands to get it in the car, I'm ok once get going driving but moving from accelerater to brake is very uncomfortable..............quite dangerous me thinks as I don't think I'd be able to manage an emergency stop if needed:eek: ...................so all you men will be glad to know that's one less woman driver on the roads for now:rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for the prostate check Cheriton, be brave and get booked in, definitely better to be safe than to be sorry. I dread my smears but in the end the embarrassment is definitely outweighed by the knowledge everything is ok. Good luck:)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yorkie said:
As for the prostate check Cheriton, be brave and get booked in, definitely better to be safe than to be sorry. I dread my smears but in the end the embarrassment is definitely outweighed by the knowledge everything is ok. Good luck:)
I've already had skin cancer so i will get checked, thanks:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheriton said:
I've already had skin cancer so i will get checked, thanks:)
Sorry to hear that, hope all is ok now? If you don't mind talking about it and if you don't mind me asking, what type of skin cancer was it and what was it that made you get it checked out?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yorkie said:
Sorry to hear that, hope all is ok now? If you don't mind talking about it and if you don't mind me asking, what type of skin cancer was it and what was it that made you get it checked out?
No don't mind at all It was a melignant melanoma .

It started off as a small mole literally the size of the @ symbol that grew over about 18 mths to the size of a 50 pence piece i had no bleeding itching or any other symptoms .

The reason it goot checked was my partner at the time had seen an article on the tv about skin cancer and thought i should get it checked .

I however did not ,but i had to visit the doctor one day for something else and she rang the surgery to ask them to take a look.

I'll always be grateful for that as another six months would have been too late .

IO've had a couple more removed but thankfully benign .Ijust keep a check on any moles i have if they start to alter in any way i get them removed .

Are you concerned about any moles?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't really asking for myself but now you've thrown the question to me it has reminded me that there is one that i should keep a better eye on, quite small also about @ size, flat but seems to be darkening. Also about 3 years ago I was hammering the sunbeds, only for about 4 wks leading up to a special event, ended up at the dermatologists with 2 small strange patches on legs, was told weren't cancerous but was basically an early warning to stay away.

The reason I asked is because I am a dental hygienist and part of my job is to check around the mouth and also head/neck for anything unusual, I've never found anything that has turned out to be cancer luckily, but during training spent a fair bit of time in head and neck oncology clinics, seen some horrific things and not a lot have happy endings unfortunately. It scares the hell out of me how so many people ( and I'm guilty of it myself) pass little things off as being nothing to waste the docs time with and then turns out to be too late when it's found out it is something nasty. Most people's stories are much like yours where it's through other people's concern that these things are found. Really glad it turned out well for you.:) :) :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Yorkie said:
I wasn't really asking for myself but now you've thrown the question to me it has reminded me that there is one that i should keep a better eye on, quite small also about @ size, flat but seems to be darkening. Also about 3 years ago I was hammering the sunbeds, only for about 4 wks leading up to a special event, ended up at the dermatologists with 2 small strange patches on legs, was told weren't cancerous but was basically an early warning to stay away.

The reason I asked is because I am a dental hygienist and part of my job is to check around the mouth and also head/neck for anything unusual, I've never found anything that has turned out to be cancer luckily, but during training spent a fair bit of time in head and neck oncology clinics, seen some horrific things and not a lot have happy endings unfortunately. It scares the hell out of me how so many people ( and I'm guilty of it myself) pass little things off as being nothing to waste the docs time with and then turns out to be too late when it's found out it is something nasty. Most people's stories are much like yours where it's through other people's concern that these things are found. Really glad it turned out well for you.:) :) :)
With regard your mole it's generally around the edge of the mole that appears, bit hard to explain , but may look a different colour around the edge and uneven in appearance however this is not a definite Yorkie If you have any concerns get it checked by the doc !!

Point of interest you don't have to be white to have skin cancer Bob Marley had his skin cancer on his big toe ,also Eva Cassidy died of metastatic cancer caused by a malignant mole.

On a more positive note it is easily treated if caught early.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts