Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recent niggle came to the fore last night after hill training.

I've had some soreness from deep in my right groin area, in line with my pubic bone. Not sure if it's a groin muscle or my hip flexer? it comes on when I lift my right leg off the ground in running pose.

It didn't hurt during the hill running, but afterwards on the flat.

I friend showed me a stretch which does seem to hit the spot....i stand with my right foot on a chair, then drop my arms and torso down towards the floor between both legs.

Any ideas what this is?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hi and welcome...
it sounds like a muscle twinge... initially i would suggest just simple rest and see how it is after a couple of days... i wouldnt reccoment putting deep heat on it though, as being close to a sensative area it could be ... err... nasty

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
it's very hard to locate exactly which muscle it is from a description, but since you've described a stretch that pinpoints the muscle, hopefully someone with knowledge of physiology will be able to help you further.

The best thing I always find is to head to google images and search for images of the muscles in that area... If you look closely at how they attach to the body, you can usually work out what motions would stretch them, and therefore find out which one (by name) it is that's causing you grief!

On the other hand though, if you've found a stretch that targets it, I don't tihnk it really matters if you know what the muscles called or not ;) lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree. If the stretch hits the spot, who needs to know what the muscle is called.

I have recently got a qualification in Anatomy & Physiology so here's some info if you are just dying to know:

There are a lot of muscles that originate from the pubic bone area so would be very hard to establish which muscle it is....I think it's likely to be one of your 4 adductors which start at the pubic bone and insert at various places down the femur from the hip to the knee on the inside leg. These muscles are responsible for pulling your leg in towards the midline of the body (rather than out to the side), flexing the hip (so bringing your knee up in front) and is also involved in rotation of the leg. Try standing and turning your foot out...if that hits the spot then it's probably an adductor...the names of which are:
adductor longus, adductor brevis, adductor magnus and pectineus.
Then try turning the foot in, if that gets it then it's most likely a muscle called gracilis. Starts at the pubic bone and inserts on the inside legs below the knee. Responsible for internal rotation, knee bending, hip flexing and adducting (bringing leg in towards midline).

I would suggest hot baths and keep doing your stretch you've found but start gently...can be very sore if you pull the muscle through stretching too quickly.

I agree with the avoidance of deep heat.....eeek!

Hope that helps or at least is a bit interesting...hope it gets better soon.
:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not when I rotate my leg out...it is in the normal walking/running movements.

I can feel it when I do the classic Hip Flexor stretch too (lunge position)

So probably my Hip Flexor then!

I've read it's hard to actually damage that muscle, so maybe it's just tight?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
quite possibly! a tight muscle would give discomfort and feel a little stiff; I'd expect a damaged muscle (especially the more powerful ones) to cause pain when stretched...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts