Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Despite telling myself I was going to get to 6km on a treadmill before I ran outside, I decided to go for a run this morning outside!

I know that from my house round a local park back to my house is 2.9m (4.6km) as I have measured it via GPS when walking one day. I thought that would be too much for me, so I drove to the park first so my run should have been about 1.9miles (3.05km).

I warmed up and stretched at home, I was wearing my NB trainers, I thought I would run on the grass verge to reduce the impact, and I took a nice slow steady pace... around 2km in I had to walk to catch my breath and ever since then I noticed a scratch inside-and-under my right knee... I started running again, but I ended up walking most of the rest of the way due to being overcautious about giving myself an injury!

Anyway - I definitely managed 1.3miles (2km)....

Lets see what the knee is like tomorrow.... I hope I haven't set myself back at all!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'm sure you won't have done...just take it easy and don't aim too high too soon in terms of speed or distance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve said:
I'm sure you won't have done...just take it easy and don't aim too high too soon in terms of speed or distance.
I hope I haven't, but I think I might have done :mad: As the day goes on the pain is getting worse - I am having problems taking taking the weight of my body and bending my knee - like when you walk down stairs.

Well, looks like I might end up using the free runners (no impact) at the gym more than the treadmill for the next two or three weeks :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, you seem to have convinced yourself that it was the surface you were running on which caused the injury whereas it could be one of many different things

(running on a treadmill alters the action of your hamstring muscles)

Did you stretch and warm down afterwards?
Do you stretch at all?
Did you start slow and speed up or vice versa?
Are your shoes suitable?
Is the grass verge level or at a camber?
Did you have to keep "switching" from kerb to grass and back

Try to identify each problem and solve them one at a time - don't assume anything

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts